Hydration When Kayaking !

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am

Hi Guys

Was having a think about this other day, and HLD's recent poll on safety prompted me to post this......

My other "outdoor activity" when not kayak fishing is a spot of hunting. This was borne out of many many years of targeting shooting with bows and arrows...

Anyway, when hunting, I also carry a 2L water bladder inside my pack.....without exception I ALWAYS ended up with massive headaches and dehydration and I never seemed to be able to drink enough liquid to stay hydrated. I would easily consume as much liquid as I could and teh result was always the same....a pounding headache and lethargy....
On a particular trip, a mate of mine gave me a sachet of Gastrolyte, the stuff the chemist or doc gives you when you get a bad stomache upset......essentially it replaces all the salts etc that you use up when you're sick....Anyway, chucked the sachet into the bladder, and low and behold, for the first time ever, I didnt get a headache !!!

Shortly after I picked up a NZ Hunting magazine, and there was an article written about EXACTLY the same problem I was experiencing.....

I'll let you all read the article, and to draw your own conclusions, but suffice to say it made perfect sense to me both from a point of practicality and cost perspective .....

Essentially this article offers a way to make your own electrolyte "powder or solution" for an absolute fraction of the cost of buying the commercially available products (wont mention brand names here....!!) without the food colouring, artificial flavours, or the sugars....

I use it all the time and it definitely works.......I've never worked out the cost but it probably works out at fractions of a cent for a litre of product !!!!

Would strongly recommend that you give it a try and would be really interested in hearing about the results !!

My biggest problem now is to remember to drink something at all .....!!
Electrolyte 1.pdf
(82.17 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Electrolyte 2.pdf
(103.62 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Cheers
Hainesy 8)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:16 am

Food for thought cheers mate!!!

chip'n
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMS9238

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 am

Hainset, cheers for that, i had to stand on my head to read it but that's all good. I tend to drink a bit of water when on the water, hopefully this means I will still drink it & not want to pee in my wetsuit as often. Dale

clickngofar
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: FishnDive

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

chip'n wrote: hopefully this means I will still drink it & not want to pee in my wetsuit as often. Dale
Which is of course the down side to drinking - Hainsey, brilliant, relevant article and one which I related to totally. Suffered huge headache last time out, and although I had water aboard, I never felt thirsty and thus never drank - silly bugger.

But - I did want to pee real bad, and almost always do when out for an hour or more.
So what solutions have people come up with to urinate at sea?
I'm damned if I'm going to pee in my shark skin, that's just gross - but thought about doing it in a small plastic funnel with a tube attched stuck down the inside of the pant leg and into a scupper hole.
Who'es been there and done that?

skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:25 pm

reading the first article makes me think the easiest way to hydrate is to fall in every now and then, the untreated seawater that you will inevitably swallow while flapping around in the water should be sufficient to support efficient rehydration!

Perhaps in the water would be a good time for a pee too?

Seriously though, I will have a go with the rehydration solution, I've heard of mountain trampers using something like it too - a good idea I reckon!

Hainesy

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 pm

clickngofar wrote:
chip'n wrote: hopefully this means I will still drink it & not want to pee in my wetsuit as often. Dale
Which is of course the down side to drinking - Hainsey, brilliant, relevant article and one which I related to totally. Suffered huge headache last time out, and although I had water aboard, I never felt thirsty and thus never drank - silly bugger.

But - I did want to pee real bad, and almost always do when out for an hour or more.
I'm damned if I'm going to pee in my shark skin, that's just gross - but thought about doing it in a small plastic funnel with a tube attched stuck down the inside of the pant leg and into a scupper hole.

When I use to fish in a wetsuit, it was either pee in the suit or come back early...I now use splash pants and use a 2 L bottle (like a milk bottle)...leave the cap on and then cut the bottom off so it looks like a scoop or small shovel.....With a little dexterity you can drop your pants/underdaks a little bit and then do your business into the "scoop"...when finished just empty and rinse it out...the scoop doubles as an emergency bailout tool as well !!!
Sorry, havent got a method ofr "number twos" !! :worried: :worried:
Cheers
Hainesy 8)

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Jett
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Hainesy wrote: When I use to fish in a wetsuit, it was either pee in the suit or come back early...I now use splash pants and use a 2 L bottle (like a milk bottle)...leave the cap on and then cut the bottom off so it looks like a scoop or small shovel.....With a little dexterity you can drop your pants/underdaks a little bit and then do your business into the "scoop"...when finished just empty and rinse it out...the scoop doubles as an emergency bailout tool as well !!!
Cheers
Hainesy 8)
Yeah the spare bottle is used quite a bit,

Maybe they could implement a new system into the 4.3 Ultra for them number 2's :rofl:
http://www.snapclick.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazing Studio Quality Photo Booth, Instant Print & Facebook Upload.

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Jett wrote:
Hainesy wrote: When I use to fish in a wetsuit, it was either pee in the suit or come back early...I now use splash pants and use a 2 L bottle (like a milk bottle)...leave the cap on and then cut the bottom off so it looks like a scoop or small shovel.....With a little dexterity you can drop your pants/underdaks a little bit and then do your business into the "scoop"...when finished just empty and rinse it out...the scoop doubles as an emergency bailout tool as well !!!
Cheers
Hainesy 8)

Maybe they could implement a new system into the 4.3 Ultra for them number 2's :rofl:
Isnt that what one of the rear pots are for on the 440? Number 2's?

Hainesy

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:31 pm

G1 wrote:
Jett wrote:
Cheers
Hainesy 8)

You wouldnt believe it....I was only asking Limitless y'day what I could use them for if I didnt use "stink baits"!!!! :lol: :lol:

Isnt that what one of the rear pots are for on the 440? Number 2's?

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

philbo
Kayak Make: scrambler 2
Kayak Model: scrambler 2
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I seem to use the aim it over the side technique haha :clap: :clap:

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:04 pm

clickngofar wrote:
chip'n wrote: But - I did want to pee real bad, and almost always do when out for an hour or more.

Guys....you have it a lot easier.....

Can try this though..... http://shepee.org/

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 am

Celebre, maybe you should start dispensing condom catheters, for a suitable fee of course :lol:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Limitless wrote:Celebre, maybe you should start dispensing condom catheters, for a suitable fee of course :lol:
How do you know about these..... :tmi:

Its okay - its a retorical question.......

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Way too much information in this thread.

On water intake, when i was long distance running I was told that your body will absorb water more readily if you can keep the water chilled to about 10 deg. I used to carry bottles of water in a bum bag. Some of them I would freeze so that they would keep the others frozen. After 3 hours on the road, the frozen ones would melt and could be drunk as well. It was surprising how well hydrated you stayed.
I like to keep my spare drink in the chillie on the yak, so it stays chilled.
I can't remember the exact figures, but I think it was something like - 1% dehydrated = 10% loss in energy.

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Hainesy

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Nakiman wrote:Way too much information in this thread.

On water intake, when i was long distance running I was told that your body will absorb water more readily if you can keep the water chilled to about 10 deg. I used to carry bottles of water in a bum bag. Some of them I would freeze so that they would keep the others frozen. After 3 hours on the road, the frozen ones would melt and could be drunk as well. It was surprising how well hydrated you stayed.
I like to keep my spare drink in the chillie on the yak, so it stays chilled.
I can't remember the exact figures, but I think it was something like - 1% dehydrated = 10% loss in energy.

Thanks Nakiman....It was supposed to be serious and helpful !!!!

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 am

Interestingly enough, I guess as a result of my medical background, I have actually investigated the use of condom catheters for expedition paddling in rough conditions when paddling sit-in kayaks (in these conditions its not desirable to pop the spray deck to use a bottle; it's much easier to lean back and relax while bracing accross the cockpit with both hands on the paddle).

The first time I looked at this system a crew of three of us, including a GP, were planning a paddle trip in our Eco-Bezhig's from Whangarei to Corromandel via the Mokohinau Islands (meeting a safety boat for accom) and Great Barrier. SAR air search were also considering using us as a training exercise, potentially targeting us with some expired flares they had at the time :sweat: :lol: , but unfortunately one of our crew needed surgery a month before departure and we cancelled the trip. I'd like to give it a go now (roughly 10 years later) in the latest generation SOT's :y:

I do take hydartion on kayaks very seriously, along with the usualy biological consequences that need to be discussed.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

glint
Kayak Model: 6m ?
VHF Call Sign: zmz6495

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 am

philbo wrote:I seem to use the aim it over the side technique haha :clap: :clap:
us jaffas just hang it over the side :rofl:
seriously here is my set up,i found hydration bladders hard to keep sterile now all i have to do is throw away the bottle.
Attachments
IMG_0291.jpg
the feeder tube attaches to my pfd making it all so easy
IMG_0291.jpg (337.3 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
SOF 6mt kayak

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Rule of thumb is, "If you don't feel the need to pee, have a drink"
By the time you feel thirsty, you're already well dehydrated.
Some of the "sports" drinks are very high in sugar which will work against you in terms of rehydration. Check the label.

I have a dud thermostat, so my core temp goes up rapidly with any activity so I plough through the hydrogen monoxide.
Not uncommon for me to put away 3litres an hour on a hot day, and that's just sitting there fishing...vigorously :lol:
When on searches in summer, half my pack weight is water ! :whew:

As far as waste products, I seldom feel the urge - even on long paddles. Most of it comes out through my forehead :D #2's? well, just go before you go and stop eating so much greasy food :lol:
If you REALLY have to go, and land is too far away - If you have a buddy (and a real good friend!) you can do the deed without getting wet by straddling the two yaks. Expect the favour to cost you many beers.

Re: the camelbaks etc going funny, the SAR trick is to store them (empty) in the freezer. Mine has been fine since day one, six years ago.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:If you REALLY have to go, and land is too far away - If you have a buddy (and a real good friend!) you can do the deed without getting wet by straddling the two yaks.
I'd rather get wet. :sweat:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Yup what HLD said about water transpiration -your sweat and evaporation from paddling on long hauls is similar to cycling it wicks off ya and cools so bladder contents problems largely negated.
If you have the spray deck sealed in rougher conditions the moisture in the bilges is your sweat so a bit more as per urine aint gonna make much difference, thats what the bilge pump,scoop or sponge are for with a judicious rinse of cleansing seawater. A helpful well wisher found this out on welcoming Freya Hoffmeister ashore after a long finishing haul in her Seakayak trip around Australia when picking up her kayak :doh: As for the other solids a paddle float brace should suffice to get elevation to dump overboard.
The frozen bottles is a tried and true used by hunters and shearers for years-was really good on a recent climb on a hot day to the top of Mt. Egmont :rock:

• Information