Lowrance Elite-4 HDI - New Transducer Help Needed

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
gibro712
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

Hi all

Has anyone installed a Lowrance HDI Mid/High/DownScan Transom Mount Transducer 83/200/455/800kHz in to the bottom of their Ocean Kayak?

This is not the Trident with brass inserts, this is the Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Size-wise it looks to be a good fit, but i'm worried about dealing with the transducer chord that comes out of the front rather than the top of the transducer.

Thanks in advance
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027
gibro712

For those interested.

This is the finished result.

20ft cable tucked into scupper hole absolutely fine.

I sealed the top of the transducer to the bottom of the scupper hole (after a bit of surface prep) with Sikaflex 291.

Used my existing Ocean Kayak transducer scupper holder.

Happy days
Attachments
5B8489CC-B38F-4C4D-8156-06A3E44A9CC6.jpeg
D5B816AB-B624-4E2C-A990-46053E5ADC21.jpeg
ZMU5027
yys
Kayak Make: Mission
Kayak Model: Catch 390

Hi, good job on your mount.
Any suggestions for something wishing to mount the transducer but not having this convenient pocket for their transducer? as in my kayak only has scupper holes and no designated indent.
Cheers
gibro712

There are a lot more experienced guys than me around.

I've seen a couple videos where guys mount them through non transducer scupper holes, but the transducer ends up on an angle which is a shambles because the unit ends up reading on an angle, and the transducer also ends up proud increasing risk of damage to it.

But if left to my own devices, without a dedicated scupper for a transducer, I would be having a close look at a setup like this
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/railblaza-kay ... JcQAvD_BwE

Main things to think about would be.
  • Where you will store your battery and run the cables. If battery is inside the front hatch, you can get grommets to seal wires between the unit and the battery after drilling holes. Very important though, measure twice and cut once
  • Where and how you will store your transducer cable so it is tidy
  • Where and how you will mount rail blazer mounts for unit and transducer
There are grommets and rubber inserts around to make drilling holes fairly water tight especially once you seal with a good sealant. Just make sure you have all the tools and nic nacs before you start drilling holes. And if drilling holes, carefully consider which parts of the kayak get more or less water splash, and waterlines etc to reduce risk of water ingress around those areas.

The alternative is to consider a through hull transducer. I haven't done any research into this, so would be hesitant to offer any advise on something I don't know enough about here.

Hope this helps :)

Rob
ZMU5027
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

yys wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 am Hi, good job on your mount.
Any suggestions for something wishing to mount the transducer but not having this convenient pocket for their transducer? as in my kayak only has scupper holes and no designated indent.
Cheers
You can install it inside the hull with silicon or make a 'wet mount'. The sonar just shoots through the hull. I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find instructions for either method.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
yys
Kayak Make: Mission
Kayak Model: Catch 390

yeah I've just placed it against the inside bottom of my hull, filled a small area with water, it works well! cheers.

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”