NN - 13/06

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Kingaling
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:36 am

Skunked!

Launched around 7am, beautiful day/conditions.

Slider and Micro Jigs went completely untouched. Gave up after about an hour or two of nothing. Fortunately I still have a few fillets left in the freezer.

Anyone else fish off NN on Saturday? How'd you get on? I saw a few yakkers out there.

Maybe I need to fix my fish finder, or start using bait for winter fishing.. any suggestions welcome.

The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

SitDown

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Chin up on the skunkings mate, no one boasts about them eh

I did NN the day before your report, lots of undersize & could have kept keepers in the 30-33 range, chose not to keep any, so I got skunked as well
This trip started off at St Heliers, to try out some new grounds around Ladies bay
Was a steady light breeze about 40mins before dawn, sat around for 20mins watching the sea, thinking maybe should go home instead...nah, so I drove to NN to baitfish under Taka cliffs, then it glassed off to variable 5kt.
I packed up & drove to Mission bay to try some new grounds between West Bastion to East Bastion just off St Heliers. Paddled out in good conditions.
At tide change, the westerly kicked in, making it lumpy with outgoing tide, some white caps further out.... so... skunked twice in one day... beat that

Have done 19 trips so far this year, skunked 5 times
2 like the above
3 skunks learning new fishing grounds on the Manukau

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:54 pm

10/10 for honesty! :)

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:22 am

Unlucky. I had the same the other day, 3 hrs and 2 tiny fish but nothing to keep. It's tough out there.

Personally thinking of trying somewhere else. Need to join a club and get some knowledge of other areas

mitchfam
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Tempo

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:27 am

Winter fishing has been really good out n around Beachlands. I have been getting limits on bait in close ( mixed bags 35-55 cm snap), just have to sit in the currents with a bit of burley and be patient. Also spoke to several soft bait and jig kayakers getting their limits in Tamaki straight.

• Information