First fish post lockdown

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 pm

First paddle post lockdown this morning. Off narrowneck, was late getting on the water but great to be out. Cracking day to be out

Absolutely no fish but nice to get exercise! Had a quick chat with two guys on the beach that had got a feed but seemed the fishing was slow all round.

Probably chopped and changed too much if I’m honest. Anyone had any luck with fishing sliders out of the rod holder? Kept getting caught in two minds between soft baiting/micro jigs and fishing the slider and probably did a half arsed job of both

AndrewRawlingson

Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 pm

A lot of people catch fish on sliders or other slow jigs sat in a rod holder. It's worked well for me in the past. These days, I prefer to use only one rod at a time. Two rods inevitably leads to trouble at some point, snag, crossed lines etc.

Badfisherman

Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks. May just chuck a slider out next time and work on soft baiting as I need the practice as I'm rubbish at it.

I was thinking on the way home that I was probably chopping and changing too much and getting caught between two rods and should just leave one out and fish others but didn't know if they had to be actively fished.

Guess the motion of the kayak will do that

AndrewRawlingson

Mon May 18, 2020 9:26 am

Top tip: I catch at least 5 snapper on microjigs to 1 snapper on softies over sand/mud. When I go out on mate's boats, I'm often in to fish while they are struggling with their softies. I use 30g microjigs in depths up to 20 metres. Cast ahead of drift and do a jerky retrieve just like a softie.

Badfisherman

Mon May 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Awesome, cheers. I'll try that next time I'm out. I had a few bites on the micro jigs on sunday but need to persevere more!

• Information