Car topping?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
AndrewRawlingson

Fri May 15, 2020 2:35 pm

It's been a while since I've been on a kayak, but thinking about it again. It won't be my primary fishing vessel, so don't want a trailer. Where are we with car topping these days? All sorts of weird and wonderful contraptions on the market. Same old problem, heavy kayak, tall car :)

Biggles
Kayak Make: Oceans
Kayak Model: Prowler
VHF Call Sign: None

Fri May 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi there, hope this helps. I too had the same issues when I got the RAV4, attached pics of what I do, and it works really well...had it over 3years. Aluminium's from Ullirich, cost around $120.00 all up with wheels and rubber.
Once the kayak is halfway on the rack it balances then rolls onto the roof rack.
Attachments
Kayak Loader2.jpg
Kayak Loader1.jpg

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Fri May 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Theres a viking video youtube about loading kayak. I just rest nose on roof first on a blanket then lift other on and up. Use a strap over the far handle to turn it over to strap it down.

I have a pretty tall car and seems to works well

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Waylander

Sat May 16, 2020 8:50 pm

I'm still young and dumb, so just deadlift it up.... Won't be too many more years before I start getting creative tho :wasntme:
Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.1 Ultra

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun May 17, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks for the replies. Biggles, you should consider going in to mass production!

SitDown

Sun May 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Waylander wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:50 pm
I'm still young and dumb, so just deadlift it up.... Won't be too many more years before I start getting creative tho :wasntme:
careful mate, I tore my rotator cuff doing the dead lift thing last year. Did physio then I purchased the rhino rack side loader, tons easier than the awkward dead lift

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 pm

When I put the smaller of the Kayak's on the roof rack, I'd lay it deck down on the ground, then walk it up from the stern until the seat or thereabouts was on my head then balance with my hands on either gunwale - this was high enough, to sidle to the car and slide it onto the rack sideways. worked great.

But my newer 'yak is just a tad heavier so I put a foam flooring tile from bunnings on the rear roof of the car (station wagon) and place the bow on that and it slides easily onto the rack, but being deck upwards, I've had to get those little cradles things, $60 on trademe.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

• Information