Level 3 Lockdown close to shore yak fishing

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Sat May 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Since kayak fishing is allowed in level 3 : as long as you stay close to shore , go out in safe weather and are within your limits (Directly quoting the govt site here) I have been out twice in the last few weeks. Even though i haven't been able to fish my usual spots, Just a short paddle out from napier has been very successful for me. I have been trying out lures to some success on the local Gurnard and Snapper. As long as the Southerlies don't blow for an extended time we should keep the good species around while the water temp stays above 15.5. That being said i had a few friendly :devil: barracouta circling just below the kayak for the majority of the day. No spinies to report out this side as of yet but i did see a few come from te awanga the other day. Hopefully we will soon be into level 2 and we can get out into the deeper stuff again ! Loving the amount of gurnard around at the moment. Their numbers have bounced back over recent years. either that or i'm getting better :rofl:
Attachments
IMG_5819.jpg
IMG_5871.jpg
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tangoio Beach
10.25kg Snapper - Tangoio Beach
7.44kg Albacore Tuna - Port Taranaki
3.20kg Kahawai - Port Napier
2.70kg Rainbow Trout - Lake Taupo
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Port Taranaki
1.40kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.21kg Gurnard - Tangoio Beach

RJ
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: ultra 4.7

Sat May 09, 2020 11:55 pm

Nice catch Blair, I have been working through level 4 to level 3 so hopefully once it goes to level 2 I can slip out the back door and try an salvage a bit of this season. I'm pretty sure I saw your dad out there working?
Attachments
DSCF1436.JPG
DSCF1427.JPG
DSCF1399.JPG

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun May 10, 2020 3:47 pm

most of my kayak gear has been stolen, but I got a gurnard off the beach at Bay View last week, so they are around !

• Information