Kuaotunu - where to fish

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Scooter
Kayak Make: Moken
Kayak Model: Angler 12.5
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7344

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am

Hi,

Been out of the 'yak for way too long - over a year in fact. But have just returned from overseas and am in self-iso for another 9 days. No symptoms or anything as yet and feel fine.... but the wife and son are sick of tip-toeing around me and have given me the go ahead to bugger of for a few days. Got a workmate/friend who is in a similar position who has space at their place up the Coromandel so I'm going.

Taking the tub and rods etc - any tips gratefully accepted.

SitDown

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@1 ... smyo%60%40
Zoom in for starters, the community edits have done the work for you
Have a chatty chatty with the fishing outlets in the township for the local intel, they are pretty good sharing the info

Have fished plenty of times off Wharekaho (Simpsons beach) 10ks south of Kuaotunu in my 10 foot inflatable, wasn't into kayaking then
On the beach go left around the corner point, then the next point, in close in the shallows, lots of nice reefy stuff from there to Round isl
Usually see Kahawai work the bait fish schools, you will see the activity in close, the birds will show you where.... a good time of the season to be around there

Scooter
Kayak Make: Moken
Kayak Model: Angler 12.5
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7344

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm

It seems like such a long time ago.... but I actually did really well out there. Fished in about 16-18m out from the start of the Black Jack cliffs and got plenty of pannies plus 2 big FAT trevs - both on a Atomic Sunrise softie. Best trevs I've caught of the yak actually. :y: :y:

Looking forward to getting back to that part of the world sometime.....

• Information