Ripped Off

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:24 pm

I have a couple of days off at the moment so it would make sense to go for a fish! Oh no , not so ...!
On Thursday or Friday last week someone broke into my workshop,where I keep a good deal of my toys. This is a shed in a complex of storage sheds,from where I have in the past run a business. Now I have numerous tropical fish tanks ,frogs, all my fishing gear, my kayak etc stored . Someone has bolt cuttered the locks off, and loaded my trailer with my stuff , unplugged the life support system and left in broad daylight !
Apart from the fact that I have lost my trailer and thousands of dollars of power tools, my point in making this post is that my fishing gear was targeted as well. All the good stuff , rods ,reels,wetsuits. The" people" that do these burglaries know what is good, and one can get casual about your leisure equipment .... until you lose the whole lot, and it is a sobering thought to add up all the values of what you have.
The forensics cop made a couple of good points, the most pertinent being to note the differences of your stuff. All my stuff is left handed, and I have a distinctive orange kayak rod, some modified wetsuit pants with a wide velcro waistband. If you list these differences in your crime report, ( there is an online section for this ) it can help them find your stuff. My stuff isn't catalogued with serial numbers, model ,make etc, but it will be from now on as this is another thing that can help get your things back. Naive as this may seem , I doubt I will see any of it again, in my current state of both shock and anger I feel that I need to keep my hands busy, so offering some positive advice is it for now! Prowling round the house , playing industrially loud music and getting pissed is the next phase ! Its a powerless and vulnerable state you find yourself in when this sort of thing happens.

Al
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT
VHF Call Sign: ZMX8443

Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:22 pm

Completely gutted for you!! What a horrible experience! I have been taking years to get my stuff together... Upgrading here and there... To think someone gets something for nothing is always the biggest disappointment!!!

Sorry that this has happened to you!
Don't let the best you have done so far, be the standard for the rest of your life.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJM0wT ... ZyON0RhYkg
Word.

Badfisherman
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Absolute lowlifes. Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Thanks for taking the time to pass on advice. Would have never have though about half that stuff

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 am

Feel for you hermodo. Years back on the eve of my son riding for NZ in Germany, we had six western saddles stolen by low life's . A gang of thieves notorious to your part of the country. Each saddle very distinctive, all different never to be seen again . so i know exactly what you are going through, took me years to get over it and even today, if I see western saddles on horses in parts of the country i check them out. What was your tralier rego was it tandem axle ? This sought of gear can end up a long way away from where it was stolen.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:18 am

Sorry to hear of this, I lost all my stuff to thieves when I was living in Laos, moto, tv, the works...

It''s time's like these, you start thinking death penalty.

May I ask, what kind of Frogs? I used to breed Golden Bell, and geckos, and tropical fish, ahh, those were the days.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am

Very sorry to hear that hermodo. Burglary seems to be our national sport. I'm surprised the police even turned up.

Like others who have posted, I have taken years to accumulate my gear. It's not just the cost, it's the customisation and countless hours spent thinking about it all, orders from overseas, maintenance etc.

SitDown

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Sorry this happened to you mate, the bloody stink barstids ..... hope its not a big cost to you to get back out on the water again

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:17 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am
Very sorry to hear that hermodo. Burglary seems to be our national sport. I'm surprised the police even turned up.

Like others who have posted, I have taken years to accumulate my gear. It's not just the cost, it's the customisation and countless hours spent thinking about it all, orders from overseas, maintenance etc.
:y:

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Yep, Marc N, thanks for the consolatory words. The frogs I have are golden bell frogs. I was hoping to get some whistling tree frogs this season but there didn't seem to be any about . I had geckoes many years ago,but these days you need to be permitted, and have specific habitats for them so I don't bother .I must say that I do like Eastern water dragons ,so I may go to them one day, theyre Aussies so we don't need a permit and they seem to be redly available.

• Information