Freaky Saturday at Beachlands

Go on then, tell us your stories...
mitchfam
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Tempo

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:26 pm

I have been fishing around Beachlands for close to 14 years now all in the same Viking Tempo, always fish the same spots in a 1-2 km radius and usually stick around where the fish are. Always get a decent feed for the family and with 4 kids, 3 cats and a dog they all get their fair share. I submit the odd trip report, thought you might like this one.

I hadn't been out in a month (Westerly's and on call) but Saturday was nice and I had a bit of time.
Last time I went out I lost my favourite light spin rod (Shakespeare Slingshot engage, not worried about the cheap Shimano reel).
I had just landed a fish on one rod and had it in my lap and noticed that my second rod wasn’t quite sitting in the rod holder, half out and resting on the anchor winder. I thought that if a fish was to bite there was nothing to stop it from going overboard.
Before I could do anything, that’s exactly what happened and I watched as the rod n reel took off, made a little half somersault and slowly sunk to the bottom of the sea. I was gutted, but what can you do.

fast forward to Sat 8th. Beautiful conditions. Lots of small ones and a 32 cm keeper in the usual spot. I decided to move a bit further out into the channel.
Things picked up as the current started moving and I pulled in a couple more mid 30's. I was reeling in one line when it felt a bit heavy. I thought it was some seaweed but as it got closer I could see it was hooked on some fishing line. I recognised the distinctive pink color and wondered, could it be. It had looped it self around the Black magic snapper double hook I was using.
I started pulling in the heavier end of the line, and watched as my favourite rod and reel arose from the deep (albeit very muddy and barnacle encrusted).
Who would have thought, I caught my own fishing rod n reel.
I am still shaking my head in disbelieve and no I did not win lotto last night.

Ended up the day with 5 fish (32-42) and a happy wife who is to try out Simon Gaults fish ball recipe

Still havent told her about the replacement combo I bought off Marine Deals that will arrive Monday....
Attachments
catch.jpg
full size.jpg

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Give it a rinse, she'll be right :D

Devious types would show wife encrusted rod and reel, and say, " I think I should be able to get this sorted"

Exit to garage for a few hours, return with shiny new rod and reel... Don't forget to take the labels off.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Got a soft spot for those cheap Shimano reels. Blows me away how much abuse they can take.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:35 pm

wow, 14 yrs with the same kayak, that's paid itself off many times over the years

lucky you hooking up your fishing rod and getting it back as well... not many times that has happened

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:30 am

Was there a fish on the other end?

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:52 am

I used to do a bit of diving, I've had three boat rods n reels, off the bottom of the gulf over the years, two had Penn reels that cleaned up nicely and are still working today.
And also I found floating on the surface, near Channel Island a 15 ft carbon fibre surfcaster and reel with Japanese writing on it, again, still in service today. :)
VALKOHAI
Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

mitchfam
Kayak Model: Tempo

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:12 pm

no fish on other end, hook and sinker all intact.. I will give it a scrub once it rains ( tank water out here and we are very low)
On a side note, I emailed to NZ herald the story and its on the back page of today's edition... (Sideswipe)
I think ahead and get Marine deals sent to work address...

Al
Kayak Model: Profish GT
VHF Call Sign: ZMX8443

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:57 pm

You didn't come across a cheap GoPro knockoff did you? Lost that on Boxing Day... Same spot probably.
Don't let the best you have done so far, be the standard for the rest of your life.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJM0wT ... ZyON0RhYkg
Word.

• Information