Vertical Jigging in Auckland

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
lindsayjop

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

Hi there,

Last weekend I went to Tiri in a boat and tried out the vertical jigging setup I bought last summer. Let's just say I got busted off 2 kingis and now I am hooked.
My question is, are there many places around Auckland that are in 'kayaking' distance where you can vertical jig to some success?
This was out at Shearers Rock and there is no way I am paddling out there from Army Bay.

I spoke to a mate who mentioned that was the only real spot to do it in Auckland but surely there are some others...

I am based on the North Shore in Auckland but don't mind a drive. Would be worth it for another go at those bad boys and seek my revenge.

Waylander

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am

When I use to live up there always had good success around Flat Rock off Kawau, dont think I could paddle there tho... would be a good mothership trip. But I also use to get kings in the edge of tiri channel from time to time. Don't need to be deep if they are there.
Nothing like the rod loading up when jigging.
OK Prowler Ultra 4.1

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:23 pm

I don't know of too many. Usually leave the vertical jigging for when I do my yearly trip up to the far north with my old man and his boat.

But I know Leigh reef holds kings and the paddle isn't too far. But that's a small drive from Auckland.

Agree though, nothing like hooking up to a fish when jigging like that!

• Information