Sails

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Fishfood
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525
VHF Call Sign: ZMX9388

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Has anyone ever fitted a Pacific Action sail to a Stealth ( specifically 525) ? It looks like it should work but I have some concerns regarding how much room they take up when folded and ofcourse stability.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:25 pm

I ran one occasionally on my Evo, deck space wasn't too much of an issue as it lay down beside the footwell.
Stability was fine unless really going across the wind. 45° either side of downwind was no problem at all.
You ideally need to fit some webbing fittings to the deck as I found running the straps around under the keel didn't allow me to crank the sail hard to the deck which leads to the sea-sawing that people complain of. Needs to be strong! I used a couple of old pennies as washers so I could bend them to fit the curve easily. As far as rigging, I used a couple of prusiks to trim which saved a lot of string lying around.

A tether is also a necessity as they go even faster when you're not in them :lol: In general winds I just clipped to the boat, although in bigger winds I clipped to the sail line so if I leapt overboard, it would bring the sail down automatically.

If you're up this way we can meet up and you can try it for size.

I'm running it on my sea kayak at the moment
DSCF0002a.jpg
DSCF0002a.jpg (247.02 KiB) Viewed 361 times
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Fishfood

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice. The Action Pacific guy recommended the 1.5 sq meter sail for the 525. I think he assumed because it's longer it's also heavier. The issue I have with that is the mast height is 1.8m. I think that would interfere with the work space as they would come almost back to the seat area when folded. They fit the 1.0m to the viking preload which is heavier and slower so I think that would work for mine. I guess I will have to suck it and see.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:57 pm

You do realise that every trip you have the sail fitted, the wind will either die, or you'll get headwinds both ways :lol:

I've just come in from a 50km slalom around the major islands in the BOI, and was toying with taking the sail but decided against it. Out of all the figure 8's, I could have used the sail for maybe 4km.
By far the best way I've found to use a sail is to get dropped off at a put in about 10-15km upwind of your takeout point, and while your long-suffering shuttle bunny waits for you, you have an absolute blast with a raw downwind run at Mach2 :rock:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Fishfood

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 pm

I know this to be true. As a school boy I cycled every day and the Wellington wind conspired to be a southerly in the morning and a northerly in the evening. A head wind both ways. I'm beginning to think it's not worth the candle to be honest. I enjoy kayak fishing because of the simplicity so why am I trying to complicate it?

Fishfood

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm

I cannot lie, I am impressed and intrigued by the thought of a 50km paddle. Did you fish or was it just a cruise? How long did it take? I would love to join you although I have never paddled that far in one go.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Was purely a scenic cruise and just under 9Hrs, including a couple of stops for beachcombing, but if I'm particularly lazy on a nice summers day I can open this out to 10-11Hrs.

My regular Ratrun is around the 40km mark and every few weeks over summer.

Fishfood

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:23 am

Wow, not sure my butt could handle that :^) . The most I've done is 5 hours and 25km without a break. Usually when I head out from here, there's nowhere to park up and stretch your legs unless I go back to where I launched from. Guess I'll just have to come up to the B.O.I :?:

• Information