Bixpy

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Stealthmode
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX7967

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Ok so I'm real close to dropping the coin on a bixpy to fit to my reload and im interested in hearing from real world users are they as good as the hype.
they aren't cheap and don't want to be left disappointed if they aren't.
cheers.
Mission Catch 390
Viking Reload

ZMX7967

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:03 pm

From what i have heard you would not be disappointed. Throwing the coins down myself in the next day or so. I have done my research with locals an over seas.. :)

zeropak
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator 13
VHF Call Sign: Predator

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 pm

I've been using a Bixby for almost 12 months. fishing 2 to 4 times per month. trips would usually be 6 to 8 hours on the water. So far no real issues with the unit. However I did recently experience a slight issue where the motor would not select reverse, all the reverse speeds had turned into forward speeds. I sent it back to Steve Tapp at Viking, he cleaned the connection points and lubed them with dialectric grease and the problem went away. The lesson taken from that is that I should pay more attention to keeping the electrical cable connections clean and lubed, so probably my fault. All fixed free of charge by Steve, his service and knowledge is second to none.
I think the Bixby is a real game changer. It allows me to extend my travel range and is great for holding position in deeper water when dropping jigs. It is absolutely fantastic for fishing in the wash you have total control over the kayak position and when a fish is hooked it allows you to back out of the wash into clearer water while fighting the fish.
I would not be without it now.

HookiT

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:24 am

Good post Zeropac, just the sought of words we need to hear. :y:
Forgot to ask , how is your battery life over x hours of fishing and speed traveled ?

zeropak
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator 13
VHF Call Sign: Predator

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:29 pm

I currently have the unit mounted on a predator 13. When traveling I paddle as well as run the bixby, I usually run on 1/2 speed, the 5 setting gives me about 6km per hr. I use the bixby frequently through the day on the 1 to 3 speed to hold position while fishing. I only use the top speed on the way home If there is enough reserve, which there usually is. Top speed without paddle assist is about 6 to 6.5 km per hr.
I am usually on the water from daybreak until about 2pm, I have never run out of battery. So I would rate the battery life as pretty good.
I have also had the Bixby mounted on a Profish Gt, on average the speed across the board was about 1km per hr less than the Predator.
I have read the claimed speed rating for various model kayaks and consider them to be very optimistic. The speeds I mention are at sea and recorded in relatively calm conditions with little wind.
I could never go back to a straight paddle kayak, I don't know how I ever used to manage to hook fish in the wash and not end up on the rocks. It is fantastic to be able to hit reverse on the Bixby and back away from trouble instead of trying to tuck the rod under one leg and paddle out of trouble.
Just my thoughts.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:04 am

The fishing advantages can be had with a PDL or Hobie Mirage 180 as well . I have an irrational fear of electrckery and gadgets myself. It’s a wonder if I’ll ever catch a fish with a paddle and primitive people power only non battery kayak ever again ? :(

Glass is Class.. dedant

Stealthmode
VHF Call Sign: ZMX7967

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks for that zeropak exactly what I was looking for.
cheers
Mission Catch 390
Viking Reload

ZMX7967

Divot
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7595

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am

I have had a bixpy for a couple of months now and do really like it. Like others have said I have not had any problems with battery life. I paddle with it one 1 or 2 speed setting. Find it really comes into its self when you have a fish on close to rocks and cliffs like at Little Barrier Island and a 1 - 2 meter swell is running. No need to grab the paddle to keep clear of the rocks, just hit the remote and you can back out.

HookiT

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Did what I said a few months back and dropped the coin down on a Bixpy. Had it a few months now, love it. As paddle assist goes Brilliant. Run it mostly on power of 3. Was a mite rough at Granit Wharf three weeks back would of been a bit of a slog without Bix, he made it extremely simple.
Was in the Firth on Saturday/Sunday and ventured out from Waiomu to the 9m contour . South Westerly had kicked in so after catching a good feed headed back in. Ran the Bixpy on power of 5 along with a very relaxed easy paddle no effort required. Had a lazy line line out fishing for me some 30m back fish hooked up so it was so simple to hit power of 1 and motor onto the top of fish saved so much time.
Would I buy another, Yes I would with no hesitation at all, easy to use and really hands free when needed. Do have a tendency now to venture further a field. :y:

grant ashwell
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:25 pm

I've been using a Bixpy for a year now. Really important to use lots of dielectric grease. I have set mine up so that the Bixpy is permanently attached to the Hobie rudder and the power cable runs the length of the hull to the top of the front hatch where the battery is attached by bungy cord. Thus I only have that connection to undo each trip. I have zip tied both the motor attachment clips closed so that there is no possibility of them being knocked undone ( my friend didn't do this and when he put the motor into reverse, the motor spun off, undid itself from the power cable and was lost forever). I check everything before and after each session and charge the battery immediately. Once, it refused to respond to the remote...3 taps of the switch on the battery cured this. Last week, the battery refused to turn on and nothing I did brought up the green power lights. Viking here in Australia never hesitated in sending me an exchange battery maybe in part that I could "guarantee" no acts of misuse or dropping etc.
I use it as an assist mostly. Have never run it flat and think that they are a wonderful little device for people who need a hand on the water. The power sockets are difficult to do up and undo as the placement makes grip difficult. I use a cloth..might be because of the grease I use. I fish a lot for large Snapper and always turn it off as I approach the drop zone. It doesn't appear to trouble marlin when I troll. A Humpback last year spent 20min just below me singing as we drifted along. When I fired up the Bixpy it appeared to get an awful fright and breached right beside me and I never saw it again. I would buy another in a flash if I had too.

• Information