Gurnard, Tarakihi and Blue Cod Mixed Bag

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:10 pm

It's about time the wind settled down.. definitely long overdue for a kayak mission. The forecast was great for the entire day, so i made a plan to head out to pania reef first thing. The car was frozen in the morning so it was a cold start. Luckily it had warmed from 0 to a warm 4 degrees at launch.

My spot was 3km out, so i got to it and made it there in about 30 minutes. I found a few kahawai about and quickly caught a couple on soft-baits.
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.41.55 PM.png
I was expecting a gurnard or two to show up but it was incredibly slow. The spinies invaded my baits and after 4 i had enough. Time to look for some sign over reef.

I looked for some kelp on top of pania's many rocks and set up. The small fish were quickly onto my squid but it was too tough to be picked off. Eventually i got a proper hit and sure enough.. Target species. A fat cod went into the net and i was pretty happy i'd secured dinner.
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.35.18 PM.jpg
It had been over a year since i'd had fresh bluey. The bite came on with more blue cod inhaling my squid on the tarakihi terminator rig.
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.41.01 PM.png
Most of these were borderline 33cm but i put them all back. Can't take them unless they are well over.

The next fish to pop up was a nice tarakihi, two trips in a row. Starting to pick up some variety.
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.39.39 PM.jpg
After all the action i moved onto the sand to search for Gurnard. The bite had died quickly.

It was definitely slow again out on the sand, nothing some chunks of skippy can't fix! It was very pleasant sitting out in the sun on a dead calm ocean waiting for some action to turn up. Eventually a spiny or 3 came looking. Then a random big Gurnard amongst all of these.
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.45.23 PM.jpg
I really thought it was just another spiny. Then more of the demonic sharks came through before i got another nice carrot.
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.43.37 PM.jpg
I'm more than happy to wade through these if there is the promise of the odd eating fish.

I had another on the way up too, but my net got caught on the kayak and mr gurnard shook the hook out right next to me. A fitting end to the day. I had plenty of fish and a big variety to boot.
Attachments
IMG_4189.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.39.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.40.07 PM.png
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
10.20kg Snapper - Tongoio Beach
3.20kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Taranaki Port
1.30kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.10kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
Est 20kg Thresher Shark - Urenui Beach

Ferret
Kayak Make: Container Door Special!
Kayak Model: Two person tank
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Great looking Hawkes Bay day! Love the shot with the snowy mountains in the background!

• Information