Reef Kayaks

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Waylander

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi folks,
I’ve searched online and all I can find about the Reef Kayak is “yes they are good for the money”. However I’m just after a bit more in depth information as I’m unable to test one.
So any info on how they compare to say an ultra4.3 Or pf400(which I have paddled) In terms of getting out and back in surf and when the weather chops up. Would mostly be used off whakatane, east cape and in rotorua lakes.
I can tell the won’t be as fast but possibly more stable but less manoeuvrability?
Also hatch functionality rod holder access etc.

Just the option to buy new and have some warranty over a second hand and no warranty is appealing also the load capacity as I’m on the larger size and can’t afford a reload :)
Cheers
OK Prowler Ultra 4.1

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

Fish4MentalHealth
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.1

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:21 am

Hey mate,

In regards to your post... I have been to view the reef kayaks in person. They look great, they have everything you need. Apparently they are a rebranded “Fish master pro”. Charlie (seller) was a great chap, answered all my questions even though I was only a potential buyer. I’m sure he will be happy to help you all the same. I ended up buying a 2nd hand Ocean kayak prowler ultra 4.1 but the Reef kayaks would’ve been my next choice.

Good luck

TattyB
Kayak Make: Reef
Kayak Model: Reef
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Hey mate,

I've got a Reef and have paddled it for about 3 years now, love it!

Not as fast as my mates Prowler but stable as, easy to access pretty much everything when on the water.

I've been told of people standing up fishing off them on a calm day but I'm not game enough for that yet.

Can't say much for surf as haven't experienced too many rougher conditions but I guess with practice you'd become pretty good.

• Information