Chart Query @ Matauri Bay

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
TattyB
Kayak Make: Reef
Kayak Model: Reef
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Have been scouting out charts for an upcoming trip to Matauri Bay (12-15 Sept) and noticed this dotted red line that I haven't seen before encompassing the coastline....
The website I use (www.wetmaps.co.nz) - the absolutely best thing out! - doesn't have a legend that can tell me what this means.
Does it signify a Rahui in place? If so, that'll change my plans a bit but just want to make sure I'm not going to venture into areas I shouldn't be in.
Also, if anyone else is heading up, see you there!
Attachments
Matauri Bay.PNG
Matauri Bay.PNG (171.11 KiB) Viewed 330 times

Fishfood
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525
VHF Call Sign: None

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi Tattty, just followed the link you posted and the red line doesnt show on the website now. Maybe it was some ferry or other shipping course? Also could be keen for a couple of those days, I'm in Waipu and have been looking at a trip up that way for some time now.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 am

The recent Rahui has been lifted at Matauri...You're good to go.
As for the line, that fact it disappeared is odd - It could have been an indicator that a Rahui was in place, although the extents weren't correct.

You going to be staying a Matauri?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 am

Could it have been the 5knot restriction

Glass is Class.. dedant

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am

A 5kt boundary would be permanently marked on the chart though, but unlikely due to the excess clutter it would generate.

I've emailed the site owner to find out (no fun, I know, but I'm curious)
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

TattyB
Kayak Make: Reef
Kayak Model: Reef
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks @Hairy Dwarf.

Good to know that the Rahui has been lifted and weird that the red dotted line doesn't show up when others go to the website.... I changed the overlay on the top right of the screen to Navionics Sonar if that makes a difference, it's still there when I checked today.

Yes, will be staying at Matauri Bay for the Matauri Bay Open Invite that weekend.

Heading up solo now as 2 mates who were looking at coming can't make it now but looking forward to meeting a few new faces and learning heaps more!

• Information