Hi from Gisborne

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Mystic Dawn
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

Hi all

I'm a noob kayaker from Gisborne. I've always loved fishing, but never been interested in getting a boat for various reasons. Then one day about a year ago I ended up on youtube watching some well known kayak fishermen from NZ doing their thing and got interested.

Did some research, decided not to spend much money and bought a Viking Espri last year. I outgrew it in a single season. I wanted to do things... things not possible on an espri.

So I'm back to looking at getting a new kayak (Or second hand if I found one that suited). Because Gisborne is at the end of nowhere I can't just go and test potential kayaks. The cost to do so would be rather prohibitive, so I'm relying on what info I can gather by research.

Probably the top runner on my list is a Viking Reload. I understand these yak's are significantly faster than their smaller brothers. One of the things I'm concerned about is accessibility of the front hatch when on the water - it looks quite a bit forward from the seat. I was thinking of storing rods, dry bags etc in it. Can anyone tell me if its accessible considering I would set up the tackle pod with a fish finder and rod holders?

I'm also considering the Viking PF400. The main attraction their is ease of loading/unloading. I'm not the strongest guy in the world so I'm very much aware that loading the reload could potentially be difficult. (Though I think I could lift up the front fist then slide it up to the roof racks)

This brings me to the OT Predator PDL - I love the potential for this yak with its superior speed, but stability and weight are big concerns. Not entirely sure how I'd get the 50+kgs up on my roof racks without busting something.

I've looked at Ocean Kayaks (Trident 13/15) which are the direct competitors of the Reload/PF 400 but just don't seem to be as well designed overall, especially considering the extra cost. They are heavier, cost more, and their tackle pod system does not appear to be as good as Vikings.

That all said, I am open to advice and suggestions. Is there anything experienced kayakers here can tell me, or think of questions I need to consider to help in my decision making?

Many thanks, glad to be here.

Mystic Dawn (Name of my kayak to be :) )

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:18 am

Considered a Stealth? Fishability , rod storage , weight on and off the car, ease of paddling, great surf ability ( depends on model) , and glass is just plain classy :D

Glass is Class.. dedant

Mystic Dawn

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi dedant

I have. They just didn't look as functional or stable (They are quite narrow (60cm compared to 75 for the reload) , and I'm... sometimes a bit uncoordinated) as the other brands. Though I've seen some posts attesting to the stability - but is that for new kayakers or experienced ones?

They do look shiny 'n nice, I agree, but looks don't even come into the equation for me.

Then there is the price for the equivalent flagship models. … Hmmm I must be blind - can't even find a price for this one which is the sort of thing I'd consider http://www.stealthkayaks.co.nz/kayak-ra ... fisha-475/ or this one http://www.stealthkayaks.co.nz/kayak-ra ... fisha-460/ . Might have to ask for a price.

I should add that in addition to the kayak I'm going to outfit it with fish finder, rudder (if available), anchor trolley, 2 rod holders... all which adds to the cost. I haven't won the lotto yet! :D How would these fit on a stealth?

dedant

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Complete with rudder, four rod holders, I added a railblazer mount forward of the hatch on mine to plonk the rod into after landing fish. They have a different “ feel” but I’m too unco to ride a bicycle or skate board and are not a proficient paddler but I loved my Fisha 500, ex demo it was $2G , new are around $3 G, second hand ones are snatched up pretty quickly, older 1st generation models are cheaper.
My dad and his wife live on Back Orman Rd, next time we visit I’ll have a kayak with me, Ive hunted but haven’t fished down there yet. Maybe we could get out?

Glass is Class.. dedant

Mystic Dawn

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 am

Yes, you got me doing more investigation. Hard to find decent reviews on all models. Paddle Guy did a review of the 575, but mainly for surf capabilities.

I'm still largely put off by cost, and the fact they are glass which I understand are less durable.

Back Ormond isn't too far from me... well depending on just how back Ormond they are :D Would love to meet up and fish... hopefully we can find some. Gisborne is not Coromandel, and I haven't yet found reliable spots. Got some ideas though. Possibly launching from Tatapouri would produce better fishing. Wainui would be good - but that's a bad beach to launch/come in on. We can figure something out if it happens.

dedant

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 am

They are in Hexton, just down the road from where R&V is held.
Some debate over “durability “ easy to repair glass, but gelcoat shows the scratches , can be repainted but.
There are a couple of guys I know paddling the new 555 Fisha, absolutely rave about them. They are both 6ft though, I’m not.
I’m hoping for a Fisha460 next.
I’ve been off work most of the year so no money for hobbies ( except my homebrew distilling) . Back in the saddle after my shoulder recovers from the surgery.
Ive had a couple of plastic kayaks and paddled others and there is nothing like paddling a ski type fishing kayak, feels twitchy at first but you sit low in the water and snug in the moulded bucket seat. Balance is not an issue. I troll bibbed lures a lot so ease of paddling and glide are important. I can’t bring myself to buy a roto moulded boat now.

Glass is Class.. dedant

• Information