Auckland Boat Show 2019 - WildCat 3.1 - The next step up from a kayak?

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 pm

just back from the auckland boat show. i felt sorry for the people on the stands as it was fairly quiet, but it made it easy to move around and was a fairly pleasant experience not having to elbow through crowds

the very first stand inside the ticket booth was this guy: https://www.wildcatboats.co.nz

it is made from polyethylene (PE) and i was quite impressed - i find tin boats to be noisy and either too hot or too cold

ready to launch for $10K with a 30HP outboard and trailer - if you only want the hull its $2795 which is kayak money

might be of interest to someone thinking about something slightly bigger than a kayak

in other news viking had their prototype carbon reload on display which is going into production

it might be old news, but it was news to me: the lifting handles amidships on the reload have been changed so they are now part of the hull moulding rather than bits of PVC pipe added afterwards, which eliminates a problem area. front hatch cover also seems to be made from a more rigid material than in the past

reiss.
Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:23 pm

I wonder how it compares to the Smartwave and Mac boats?

I have the Smartwave 3.5m and it's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. That cost $3,700 and would be the equivalent of what the Wildcat has listed for $4,100.
Not a big difference in price, but I'd be interested to know how they compare in terms of performance. I see 2 people sitting on the back of that one in videos, but mine struggles to get on the plane with my 135kg weight and the 30hp motor at the back. When fishing alone, which is most of the time, I now put 2 buckets full of water up front to balance the weight.
Mine, however, does have the option to put a center console in and do remote steering instead of tiller and I might just upgrade one day when finances allow for it.

Better than a kayak? I'm not convinced. I miss the convenience of a kayak and that feeling of being close to the water/nature, but I do enjoy the speed and ability to go further etc.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information