Taupo

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:15 pm

I'm thinking I might rock over to Taupo for some freshwater fishing .Its a couple of hours drive from here( Napier) so not too much of an effort, you know could be a good weekend trip, so what I need to know is which areas to target and what with. I do have some experience on the lake with my son in law, but that involves trolling in a well appointed fizz boat , so I'm picking that kayak fishing the lake is vastly different, but either way I guess you don't need to wash your boat down as as often ! Any Taupo gurus out there prepared to divulge a few gems ? Some freedom camping spots , some good motor camps ?

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am

Can't help you there Hermodo, but there's a couple of Rob Fort 'Reel Screaming Kayaks' episodes where he covers jigging and softbaiting for trout. They're filmed in the Rotorua lakes, but surely some of the same concepts would still apply?
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

noaddedfluff
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 am

Hi there, I've had good results at the southern end launching at tokaanu ramp, with easy paddle to a number of spots.
If the wind is westerly you can drive round to spots like kuratau and fish below the western side out of the wind.
Jigging with flies gets a daily bag... Normally in 10 to 40 metres of water, staying out of the weedline.
And the two fishing shops in the turangi mall are always helpful for tips and flies.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

027 248 9449
@noaddedfluff

• Information