New Boat Taking On Water

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 am

So... 3rd trip out with my new boat and I took my younger son (13yo) with me this time.

It was low tide when we launched at Kawakawa Bay and my son was holding the boat in the shallow water while I parked the car. Got back to the boat and it had quite a bit of water in it. I assumed it must have taken on water because of the steep angle off the trailer launching at low tide and I clearly remembered putting in the bung when preparing the boat before going down the ramp, so that wasn't it.

I had a little plastic container that I keep my lures in, so used that to start bailing out water. After a few minutes I started thinking we must have a hole cause it can't take that long to get the water out, but my son said he can see the water level dropping by some mark at the back (he'd say anything to ensure we go fishing, even if it means sinking!!). So I started watching the same mark, which only convinced me that the water level was NOT dropping.

I heard some guys laughing pretty loudly by the boat ramp after one of them said something, but we'll assume they weren't laughing at me!

Now convinced that I was not going to win with the bailing efforts, I stuck my hand under the water at the back of the boat, but it only confirmed that the bung was securely in place. Then it dawned on me that there's a second bung on the inside of the boat!!! Closed that and all of a sudden I could see the water level drop with every scoop I took.
It's one thing forgetting to close the bungs, but a completely different level of concern when you forget that you have a second bung after you've already made that mistake just 2 weeks prior!

Good day out though, son got 6 keepers and I got 5 - all between 35 and 45cm
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 am

I used to clip the bungs onto the ignition key as a reminder.

Bung on the inside of the hull sounds an odd configuration, unless it's some sort of venturi? I know too well that feeling of bailing without progress after being out in my mates boat when the transom separated from the hull - Ahhh fun days of youth.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 pm

amazing how much water can slip through those small holes aye

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Thankfully you noticed before you left!
My boat has 6 bungs (not all of which I actually open), so I have to go through and check them all before launching. Water moves through them damn quick
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:07 pm

What about writing a Check-list on the hull somewhere?
Bungs
Rods
Bait
Paddles
etc. etc.

• Information