Overpowering a Rod

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Fatty_Boom
Kayak Make: Winner
Kayak Model: Nereus

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:18 am

Looking for any advice / experiences here. I've acquired a back up slow jigging rod but it had no reel. I also have a spare baitcasting overhead reel. So I was going to pair them up so I could have this set up in a rod holder bouncing a slider or lucanus behind me as I used my regular rod/reel combo for softbaiting.

The potential issue is that the rod, while new, looking strong, and designed for slow jigging, is only rated 2-4kg while the reel is rigged with 15lb braid.

Provided I don't max out the drag, will this set up work fine? are these ratings a guide? or will it snap the first time something hits the slider?

Thanks for any info team. :y:

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 pm

I use an okuma concept tournament rod for softbaiting, its rated 2-5kg on a 2500 sustain reel with soon to be 20 pound aliexpress braid
When I bent it over at the shop before purchase, it had stacks of power in the butt after the top half folded away, I would comfortably put 1.5kg of drag on it or more if I lowered the rod tip
To me, I reckon it will be fine. I would be more worried about how smooth the drag is

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 am

What reel and line you run has not got a lot to do with the rod as long as you stay within the rods ability in drag. Once you push past that then you run the risk of breakage. you can also end up losing the power of the rod long term if you do push it beyond it's limits. special care need to be taken in the area of landing fish

Also of note is whats the point in fishing a larger reel and heavier braid on a rod not capable of it? I get that if it's the options that you have then you can make it work. But...

You loose the advantages of both the lighter gear and also the heavier braids, Less sensitivity, less feel. more water drag and the requirement to fish heavier heads along with the casting performance, but then you also lose the advantages of running the heavier line which is stopping power and the balance of the setup. the other thing to look at is light rods normally have smaller guides which can become an issue for leaders that are a bit heavier than intended passing through...

My 2c
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Fatty_Boom
Kayak Make: Winner
Kayak Model: Nereus

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks guys, maybe i'll give it a few goes before deciding on respooling.

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information