Ali Express for fishing gear

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
revfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3 Prowler

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 am

Just getting kitted out to start on my first journey and had a question.

I've read previously on this forum that with fishing gear - as most things - you get what you pay for, so what do you guys think is actually worth getting from places like alliexpress?

The prices are so cheap was thinking about doing a big starting kit out with them and add locally for particular gear/upgrades after that.

Snow Goose
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3599

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am

As long as you accept that the cheap gear is basically "throw away". If it doesn't meet your expectations, you will be stuck with throwing it away, because sending it back will cost you more than the sale price. Same with parts. In my experience, I find that buying good gear locally from a reputable dealer AND looking after it AND maintaining it properly ends cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Snow Goose
Viking Profish Reload
ZMW3599

revfisher

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am

Snow Goose wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 am
As long as you accept that the cheap gear is basically "throw away". If it doesn't meet your expectations, you will be stuck with throwing it away, because sending it back will cost you more than the sale price. Same with parts. In my experience, I find that buying good gear locally from a reputable dealer AND looking after it AND maintaining it properly ends cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Yea, that was my general thought for gear like rods/reels etc, I was wondering if there is stuff that is worth picking up, for example tackle, where the quality may not be as important.

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

bought 2 reels, took the chance because price is really good. turns out it works pretty well. Granted it's not as good or as smooth of the well known brand, but i think it handles the abuse pretty well.

The only bad thing about it is if you missing a part, then basically you need to buy a new reel as i don't think they have good support for buying their parts etc.

i will stick with the reputable brands to get my primary gear, but i will buy them for my 2nd or 3rd reel.

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

*duplicates

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:38 pm

AE is great for jigs and terminal tackle etc. Never been tempted by their rods/reels.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 pm

I bought 20 pound braid from a brand called "kastking"
Read a few forums from the states about this brand & seemed quite good. Same too on youtube
Fart arsed around thinking I should buy then not buy, when I did the line was another 50% off
About 26 bucks for 1000 yards of 20# including delivery... only time will tell eh if any good
This will do me for my softbait & slider setups

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 am

The big difference is, whilst you will catch fish with the cheap stuff, when it really matters it doesnt cut the mustard, the anglers who are consistently catching decent fish are using better quality gear

revfisher

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks everyone

gadgetm
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 pm

I've bought a bit of fishing gear from aliexpress. Got some rods as cheap throw away gear while I'm re-learning. The rods are very well made and Fuji guides and reel seats. Very impressed, and they cost bugger all delivered. Have also bought reels, snap swivels, hooks, line, etc which are also very good.

revfisher

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

gadgetm wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 pm
I've bought a bit of fishing gear from aliexpress. Got some rods as cheap throw away gear while I'm re-learning. The rods are very well made and Fuji guides and reel seats. Very impressed, and they cost bugger all delivered. Have also bought reels, snap swivels, hooks, line, etc which are also very good.
Nice. I ended up ordering soft baits since take and a cheap rod and reel combo which my kids will use once I have had a play.

• Information