Mahia Advice.

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
liam70

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:32 am

Hey, I’m pretty new to the forum and was hoping to get any advice on kayak fishing in Mahia as I have never been there before. We’re staying there 6 nights in mid December just north of mototahi hill. I was wondering what the best launch spots were, what’s a good depth to aim for, and what kind of fish I could be expecting. I was also thinking about possibly doing some diving so if anyone had any good spots that would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, any information would be amazing.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
IMG_0902.jpg

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Liam, I fish Mahia from time to time, and you can't go wrong ! On the southern side Waikokopu is a good launching spot , theres a sheltered inlet that lets you launch into good water, a bit of structure, and 4 to 6 m of water in close . Taylors bay is shallow & sandy, and also faces south , worth a look. Over the peninsula on the northern side Whangawehi is a good sheltered spot to launch & the fishing here is really good . A bit of a natural habour inlet is perfect for launching , & a channel through the surf is marked, a lot of fizz boats go out here ,so it can be busy. Best early in the morning before the wind gets up , but in saying that you can get into good drop offs into 20 m , only a km or so out, so getting back in quickly isn't an issue . You can catch snapper , blue cod gurnard , KY, Trevs , the fishing is good for variety . I've been smashed by some serious stingrays on this northern side, size of a coffee table , but generally , mate you are going to love Mahia. The pub does a good feed, and its a relaxed place. Inland on the Gisborne rd is the Morere hot springs , & after a day on the water this is just the go for a relaxing soak in lush native bush surroundings, before cooking up all that fresh kaimoana! Have a good holiday !

liam70

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Wow, thank you for all that hermodo that’s going to be very helpful!!!

• Information