Roof Rack Set up advice

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
bills93

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi guys,

I have just brought a Phoenix Hornet as my first Fishing yak and was hoping for some advice to steer me in the right direction on roof rack set up.

Really have no idea where to start with this, as far as getting roof racks fitted to the car and what to get in addition to support the Kayak. Is it best to take it into a shop to get done or is it unnecessarily expensive? I'm money conscious but obviously don't want to lose the yak off the car.. also would be nice to have the option to support two in the future.

I drive a 2000 Mitsibushi Lancer Cedia Sedan

Thanks for reading :)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:00 pm

Roofrack centre for the bars (Yaks have high torquing loads when it's windy or at highway speeds)

The Hornet sits rock solid upside down on my bars and is short enough that I don't need bow and stern lines (And I'm a big fan of a front tiedown on yaks)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

bills93

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Cheers for the reply mate, really appreciate you taking the time.

I messaged roofrack center and they forwarded me these options: https://gyazo.com/a9f7a63ab0e6bd3203c881941cb5f7e4

Reckon the Euro 2500 will do the trick? Price is still pretty steep for me, are there cheaper options or better not to risk it?

Cheers :)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:17 pm

I'd go with their recommendation. If it's a tight budget, you could ask what the next ones down would be, but I wouldn't go below 75kg rating.

There's always a cheaper way
raCK.jpg
raCK.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 295 times

But not always better (note that the commercial rack is still attached to the kayaks.... I'd say a lack of front tiedown skewed these off the roof - not so much of an issue with a shorty like the Hornet)
RACK2.JPG
RACK2.JPG (76.54 KiB) Viewed 295 times

The longer you go, the more essential a front and sometimes rear tie down becomes...
BOW LINE.JPG
BOW LINE.JPG (45.77 KiB) Viewed 295 times
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 pm

JMHO, I got a cheap set of square bars. I put the 'yak upside down on it, i.e. gunwhales on the bars. I use a pair of jandals cut in half (so 4 pieces) to prevent injury to the 'yak where the bars are, a couple of ratchet tied downs and Bob's yer uncle. Been at highway speeds to Taupo n back, with a bow rope to the car.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 am

Sounds like you're on top of it. Just take it easy with the ratchet tie downs! They only need to be snug enough to hold down not so tight that they deform your hull .

Glass is Class.. dedant

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:12 am

I've had good service out of Rhino Rack bars - I've had them for about 10 years now, oval profile on the Pajero and square profile on my kayak trailer. Oval profile is much quieter on a vehicle. The Rhino Rack bars are easy to fit and adjust and also to fit accessories to. I don't bother with any kayak specific fittings for plastic kayaks - just out them on the bars gunwales down.

I like to position my yak so the widest section is between the bars. That way, once it's tied down it can't slip forward or backwards.

I don't use ratchet tie downs. You don't need that much downward force if you have a bow line, so cam-lock tie-downs are fine. The Sea to summit ones are good - nice and long, with a loop for bundling excess strap. I also have KanuLock lockable tie downs, in case I have to leave the kayaks unsupervised.

I agree that bow lines are essential. I made up bow and stern lines with webbing straps and shackles. Fit and tighten in just a few minutes. We've taken two kayaks side by side Nelson to Kerikeri and back a few times without any issues :y:

My other piece of advice is to go for the widest racks you can sensibly get on your car. With our racks we could fit a Viking P400 and Viking 2+1 side by side gunwales down.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:57 pm

I have Prorack wispbars, which I installed myself no problem. Drilling the rivet holes in the car roof was a little nerve wracking though. Seem to handle the load without issues.
I also have a bow rope permanently attached to my kayak - for use as a front tie during transport, and as a tow rope should I ever get into serious trouble on the water.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

• Information