Mouse poop.

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Today I dusted off my kayak, and after couple of months off the water , I have to say it needed a bit of attention .After about an hours worth of maintenance I was ready for a paddle. The silicone spray can was on the empty side but everything worked . The most disconcerting thing was that the rear hatch had become a "mouse toilet", and the food source was several muesli bars I'd left in the kayak !
I felt somewhat privileged to be out there given the week we have just had in Hawkes Bay and an hour or so on the water seemed like a reasonable session. With an outgoing tide ,and a rising NW breeze I was happy to stay close in , and I didn't even fish.
Hawkes Bay isn't the friendliest place to kayak ,and last week we were treated to 350mm of rain, mostly on the coast , so any chance of a kayaking session seemed far fetched. I work at the Aquarium on Napiers foreshore and witnessed some amazing weather . shingle and sand buried our outflow from the oceanarium, a pipe that is normally 1.5m above the beach level. swells were in the 4m range at times , and over the sequence of maybe two days the pipe was alternatively buried or exposed to 2m above the beach. the volume of fresh water was such that the salinity of the sea dropped from about 31 ppt coming into the tank from about a km out at sea, where our pump is in the seabed, to as low as 26ppt . At 24-25 ppt crayfish , and other crustaceans start to die , and most marine life is threatened to some degree.That was only a week ago, and here I am paddling in open water ! Apart from driftwood being pushed almost into our carpark, you wouldn't know how rough it really was just a few days ago.

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 pm

I read that you are getting a huge amount of money to upgrade your aquarium

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Yeah possibly ,but by no means guaranteed, the project as it stands is a concept design , that has to go through all the financial rings of fire to see if it is a goer. Thats where its at just now . The council, who own the current set up has it on their 5 to7 year development plan. Long way to go !

• Information