Wanted: Cobra VHF belt clip

Adverts for new and used kayaks and equipment.
AndrewRawlingson

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:22 am

Long shot, I need a replacement belt clip for my Cobra HH350 VHF. They sell them in the US for $5, but won't post to NZ. NZ price is $35! It's not the money, it's the piss take that bothers me! Has anyone got one on a broken radio they could send me? Cheers.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/replacem ... -vhf-radio

HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:09 am

Hi Andrew , I have had two pins on two clasp rust out HH350 and they call them submersible marine/ salt water.. I explained this to trident marine. As both units were not that old i considered a free replacement to be available due to the unit having a two year warranty along with being made for a marine environment. Not sure what happened with them, I do not think they came to the party. Try them at / 098455347 ask for Brent.
If unsuccessful go to , www.cobra.com a spring loaded belt clip $4.95 plus postage. Scroll to bottom of page click on contact
I went straight to Cobra marine USA explained the belt clip had rusted out and that being a marine radio nothing should be capable of rusting. They sent myself a new one for free.

Hope you can get one. I no longer trust the clip. I use the lanyard tied onto strap of PFD. The older radios were better set up for lanyard and the belt clip was far more substantial plus after ten years, the spring still had not rusted as they were made of stainless. They were just big and heavy.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks HookiT. I've emailed Cobra USA and they said they would pass the email on to the relevant person. I'm not too hopeful. May take the opportunity to upgrade as I've never been that happy with the radio. It's fine for short distance communications, but it struggles to pick up Nowcasting etc.

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Geez I have the same problems with my cobra
HH500. Rusted clip and signal issues.

I also had problems finding a new battery in the country because the franchise store i bought it from don't stock them.

I also found an issue with the charger as it doesn't align properly with the battery terminals, and hence doesn't charge.

The Bluetooth feature isn't worth it because it's a little complicated to activate it.

No more cobra radios for me.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Schecter wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:12 pm
I also found an issue with the charger as it doesn't align properly with the battery terminals, and hence doesn't charge.
I had that too.Think I ended up bending the electrodes out a little bit. Just ordered an Icom. May as well get my wages paid direct to Marine Deals and cut out the middle man ;(

HookiT

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

Schecter and Andrew take this up with 'Trident marine they are the agents for Cobra USA. Talk with Brent . When Brent failed to go into damage control for Cobra USA with my issue over the hh350, that is when I wrote to USA explaining the lack of enthusiasm for Cobra NZ to get it sorted. I would be very very interested with how you get on .
Both of you are not alone when it comes to Cobra problems., that I can assure you.. Always remember radios in the time of 'urgent need' can also fail.

My next radio/handheld Andrew, shall be an Icom or Standard Horizon not a Cobra. Cobra need to wake up to what is going on, they have been in the marine radio business a long time.
On you tube a chap called yak-motley called out Cobra by saying his HH350 was no more than an expensive paper weight after being used for around three months.
I require a radio to have no compromise, it is with me to be able to contact others, no darn good if it fails for it would leave me and others in the Poo !! big time.

Andrew even if you are going to purchase another radio still hound Cobra, your hounding may help others .. :y:

HookiT

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:42 am

Just a thought Schecter , you say you have signal issues, is your squelch set properly ?

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:18 pm

HookiT wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:42 am
Just a thought Schecter , you say you have signal issues, is your squelch set properly ?
Good call. I haven't checked my squelch settings for a while. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information