Bay of Islands 11th July 2018

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Schiskafish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.1

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Up with the Family for a week in Paihia expecting good weather on Wednesday and I wasn't disappointed. Got on the water by 6:30am and headed out on my way to the lighthouse off Russell... A 5km paddle... Looked like some good foul area. The water was smooth as, first sign of mackerel on finder and on the first drop a caught 1 mackerel considering trolling a live bait. Then on 2nd drop definitely decided to troll a close to 30cm mackeral (biggest I've caught). No luck all day with various live baits (also tried a small Kahawai of similar size).

The fishing was on close in to the point of Russel. Caught a decent Kahawai on an idle Rapala lure while catching a few snapper on soft bait... 2 of which where around 50cm.

Headed back towards islands close to Paihia as the outgoing tide was really pumping around 9:30am so thought I start working closer in. There are 2 rock markers where the fish especially Kahawai were prolific. Both on my Rapala and on every cast with soft bait I was hooked. The Snapper pic I caught on a pearl zman paddle bait. While bringing him up another even bigger snapper was following him closely behind CRAZY! then I realised I still had my Kahawai livey hanging out the back. The livey reel screamed a little and then stopped. Unfortunately the Snapper just gave him a fright. Headed back to shore about 12pm. The best fishing I've had in a long time. There must be something about the Bay or Islands :rock:
Attachments
36899930_10156571074654708_8963810842281771008_o.jpg
Prowler ultra 4.1

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Some nice condition Snaps in the Bay recently, getting that lovely winter 'grease' on the knife when filleting. :y:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Nice going :y: . Can't wait to head around there next month. Does Whananaki count as BOI's?
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information