For the love of fish

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
Esquire
Kayak Make: OEM
Kayak Model: 3.7m
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi everyone

One of the main reasons I first got into fishing is my love of cooking and eating seafood. I’m a big fan of creating or adapting recipes to get some exciting new flavours. So I’m keen to share and get some good ideas about cooking our common table NZ fish, because it’s often too easy to just stick with the classic recipes you know work.

Here’s a few dishes that I have come up with over the years, happy to share recipes if wanted.

A1B52006-FA99-4425-9DE9-1AF8E4F32D81.jpeg
Teriyaki Salmon
B2BFDB4A-BE3D-4236-926F-0279EE89EDB2.jpeg
Wahoo with pineapple salsa
BC783ADB-C73A-456A-830C-B8973A4472D7.jpeg
Hapuka with basil & salsa verde

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 am

Man that looks delicious. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. :y:

I've just finished my first smoking video a few days ago. I don't go fishing much nowadays but I've been making a few videos to keep me occupied.

Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Blazer60
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Fri May 18, 2018 8:09 am

Awesome, thanks for putting that up. :y:
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

AndrewRawlingson

Fri May 18, 2018 9:39 am

Gravad lax for trout. I won't post a recipe as I just Google it, but it makes the damn things edible :y:

Esquire

Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reponses.

I’m keen to up my smoking game. I currently just use the tried and true bach style smoker with meths burners. I find the results inconsistent. So I’m looking at getting a Smokai smoke generator and setting up a cold smoking station. I’ll let you know how I get on.

I love lake trout straight in the pan, but a good gravadlax is a delicious method for trout too. I gave a fillet of rainbow trout to Darius, the chef at Cazador restaurant, and he prepared it that way by preference. We ate it with sour dough and horseradish creme.

Andrew, do you find it’s just river trout that tase unpleasant, or all trout? Personally, I only fish the rivers for sport, as 99/100 fish caught have a more yellowy flesh and taste muddy, because they gorge themselves on bugs. We just catch and release all river trout.

Lake trout that feed on smelt, bullies and koura I find have delicate pink flesh like salmon, and are delicious cured, smoked or even just on the BBQ. I have a smoked trout and creamy pea pasta recipe which is a favourite. Attached is a pic of the fillet I had prepared by Dariush, the fish was caught in the Arapuni river and you can see the salmon like colour.
852CEA88-050C-46B4-8DF1-F1B20F6BC62D.jpeg
Cheers all.

Esq.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri May 18, 2018 12:49 pm

All trout. I grew up eating them and loved it. After 5 years in Northland and a diet of snapper, john dory, bluenose, gurnard, scallops, crayfish etc, fresh cooked trout turns my stomach. I nearly puked last time I tired it :rofl:

Esquire

Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Haha, yes pretty hard to compete with all the amazing kaimoana you mentioned! But to me, well prepared trout does have a place at my table.

I regularly can get my hands on snapper, JD and gurnard here in Auckland, but it is a real treat to eat blunose, scallops or crayfish. My wife’s cousins are commercial fishers based in Russell, and when we go up there it is like Christmas x 10 for me. They run primarily cray boats, and the amount of cray we eat there is insane.

BFIST

Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm

So true about the lake trout and some lakes are better than others. Tarawera vs Rotorua for example.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri May 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Schecter wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:24 am
Man that looks delicious.
I donno... I punch chefs who put that size helping on my table and expect me to pay for it! Looks good, but I don't eat with my eyes. And considering that I can sniff that size helping up without blinking, I don't eat with my nose either!

Just kidding Esquire, it looks delicious - I just haven't eaten for the past 21+ hours and have to wait another 20 minutes before I do, so those dishes look a bit scamp for my current hunger level.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Esquire

Sat May 19, 2018 12:12 am

That’s true - never leave anyone hungry!

I usually make sure there are plenty of sides or at least 3 courses to make sure folks are full. But if I want to make sure, I just make beer battered fish tacos until no-one can eat anymore.

Perhaps this next pic is a bit more balanced. It’s a Kahawai Japanese Katsu Curry. Like the Dilhma guy says, ‘do try it’.
53302AD4-D50B-4523-A806-50B666C1AC6B.jpeg

SitDown
Kayak Make: Reload

Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Esquire wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 pm
I’m keen to up my smoking game. I currently just use the tried and true bach style smoker with meths burners. I find the results inconsistent
camerons smoker is a goodie, very consistent, fall off the bone fish smoking.
We use this at home on the gas hob, also on the gas hob in our motorhome when travelling around the country
Bought ours at a motorhome show in auckland
Millys in auckland sell em for around a hundy
Also on youtube

Like you say, the meths cooker I have used in the past... very inconsistent. This one is always bang on. Takes a bit of practice to get it right like most new things, I would never be without it
Fits a decent sized kahawai, plus another half of another squeezed in tightly for 1 tablespoon saw dust :y:

Any chance for the kahawai katsu recipe or any other kahawai recipe

Usually we fillet the kahawai, chop them to half thumb length pieces, into flour, beer batter then deep fry in a case iron pan.
To be honest, deep fried this way in that size pieces rates almost 10/10 as the small pieces are not overwhelmed by the strong taste of the kahawai plus they crisp nicely. We call them our fish nuggets... dipping sauce of mayo, sweet chilli sauce, lime juice

Esquire

Sun May 20, 2018 12:24 am

Sounds like a sensational use of the humble kahawai. I’m usually beer battering and frying snapper, simply because as a central AK yak fisho I don’t happen across as many kahawai boil ups and I would like.

Kahawai Katsu curry couldn’t be simpler. I use short grain rice. Sushi rice works fine. If you don’t have a rice cooker, I recommended googling the absorption method. For the sauce, any self respecting Japanese curry addict must use S&B. I like extra hot, which equates to ‘mild’ given NZ folk are accustomed to Indian curry. I believe that most Countdowns stock S&B these days.

Here’s the pack:
36C99527-FDEE-4033-83E3-018629806B9A.jpeg
36C99527-FDEE-4033-83E3-018629806B9A.jpeg (116.98 KiB) Viewed 679 times
For 6 people, sweat down 2 onions diced on a large saucepan. The add one tray of the S&B curry blocks (you’ll see what I mean).

Ignore the back of the pack, and slowly add hot water until the sauce is the consistency you desire. (I like thick but fluid)

Put 2x eggs in a bowl and whisk. Then add panko crumbs to a bowl the same size. Dip the kahawai pieces (like your nugs size is good) in the egg, then in panko, covering entirely. Rest the fish on a plate with paper towel.

Now... rice is cooked and kept hot. Sauce is ready and on stove at low heat. Shallow fry the Kahawai pieces and return to a plate with paper towel for the grease.

Add hot rice to bowl. Then |IMPORTANT| Add the sauce to the rice, covering it. We DO NOT tip over the crispy crumbed fish, because then you have soggy crumbed fish.

I garnish with sliced pickled ginger, but only because I can’t be arsed going to Japan Mart to get the proper pickles.

Then eat!

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 pm

That looks great :y:

• Information