General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Esquire
Kayak Make: OEM
Kayak Model: 3.7m
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi team

Long time reader, first time poster.

I would like your expert opinions about upgrading to a new (2nd hand) yak.

I currently fish from a 3.7 Container Door yak. It has served me well. I don’t get out a lot, maybe once or twice per quarter. It’s really stable, but it’s slow, and performs poorly in choppy conditions. It takes water over the front once the wind whips up, and is often a slog getting back to shore if I am a long way out and heading into the wind.

That said, for the price it has been awesome. I have caught some good fish from it. It is super manuevrable, easy enough to get on my roof racks and has plenty of rod holders.

But I’m keen to get our wider. And, my ultimate goal is to catch my first yak king in spring. So I am thinking of upgrading to a 2nd hand Viking or OK.

Currently, I have the opportunity to purchase an older OK Prowler 4.5 for around $850. It’s the model before they had the handy tackle hatch in between the legs.

My questions are:

- would an old OK 4.5 be a sufficent upgrade?

- OK owners and former owners - is the 4.5 doable on roof racks?

- what should I be looking for when I examine the yak? And areas I should look at for deformation/wear?

- if I shouldn’t go for it, why?

When responding, bear in mind that I want a yak for all conditions, from live baiting for kings, to potential long range trips, quickie snapper snatches out from St Heliers, trout fishing on hydro lakes, etc etc. Also, my budget is only around $1k, so it won’t be useful to tell me just to get a fully equipped Reload as that will be out of my price range.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Esq.

The Fish Whisperer

Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Esq, in my opinion for an upgrade you can't go wrong with the 4.5. In my humble opinion they are fairly quick, stable in rough conditions and relatively easy to put on a car roof rack. Look out for deep scratches on the bottom of the hull most scratches can be repaired. I suppose look at the in hull rod holders to make sure there well sealed. I've had my 4.5 for around 10 years and and still can't find a good enough reason to upgrade. Much to my wifes delight. If you want to try mine on the water your most welcome.
Cheers Clive

Esquire

Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the response FW.

A pretty compelling review for the 4.5. Do you find that it is difficult to spin around in a hurry if there is, for example, a wake oncoming or some other reason to scoot around quickly? I’m a little concerned that 4.5 might be too long for me, especially coming from a 3.7.

And thanks for the ocean test offer! I’m very grateful. I know from past lurking that this is a great yak fishing community. If I get a chance I’ll take you up on the offer - although it’s tricky to get away at all as I have a 1 year old boy.

vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Pro GT
VHF Call Sign: nil

Sat May 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi, I moved from a 4.5 to a viking, never looked back, no regrets, far more room etc etc. My 2pence worth.

rainbow
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: P13
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rainbow

Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm

The 4.5 has more volume and sits slightly higher and is less stable than the OK 4.1 because both are 71 cm wide. I have tried both when they first appeared on the scene and noticed the difference. So you need to pack more kgs yourself or carry more gear/fish to compensate for that. It is definitely not the best choice if you are a light weight. Also if you do want to buy it make sure it has a rudder as the minimal tail fin makes tracking a bit difficult.

Rainbow

Esquire

Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks Rainbow

That’s food for thought. I’m around 90kg, so certainly not a lightweight. But I also typically travel light, because when I used to take a bunch of tackle with me I was only using about 3% of it.

Stability is a concern for me. If I had an unlimited budget, I would have prefer to get a yak that I can stand up and cast from, as I’m primarily a soft bait angler. I have read that the longer OKs can be a little ‘tippy’. Perhaps I need to keep searching for my upgrade.

Cheers
Esq

Slugyak
Kayak Make: Slug
Kayak Model: Slow lol

Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 am

Keen to hear what you end up with mate as I'm in a CD just like you and know exactly what you mean. Really stable and going out fresh is all well and good but after 4 hours or so in a bit of a chop she is a slog back! Also go out off Kohi beach so keen to catch up some time it suits us both :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi. I have a stealth evo 495 for sale$1000

Slugyak

Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 am

PM me mate I'm keen, where you located?

Slugyak

Sat May 26, 2018 10:53 am

021804510 :)

Esquire

Sun May 27, 2018 1:30 pm

That would be quite the sight Slugyak - two guys in CD yaks battling it back to Kohi/St Heliers when the prevailing wind kicks up at 11 am.

That’s the issue that really has me most keen for a faster yak. Always battling the prevailing wind coming back in, and if the tide is also going out it’s a wet and punishing ride back in. Found myself around the back of Browns Island on Anzac Day and was really wishing for a Bixpy or Minn Kota to magically appear on my yak!

Keen to link up for a paddle some time. Although I don’t typically head out in winter. Next time I head out will probably be on one of the resort yaks in Fiji in August. Taking 10-15kg travel rod just in case I get some time away from the family.

Cheers
Esq

Slugyak

Mon May 28, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi Esq,

Well I'm in a Stealth now from Badassfisher! And Hairy Little Dawf has one for the same price he's keen to sell so message him. Sounds like a good buy too from what he told me. Then we can start the Kohi Stealth club lol

I'm heading to coromandel fir the long weekend and weather permitting intend to spend many many hours in my new boat. Spending this week personalizing her and fitting FF etc and hope to post my first forum TR next week

Hopefully can coax you out one sunny winters day lol

Oh and we were out Anzac day too but by east Bastian reef in our big red CD double lol there were only a few guys out fishing so probably saw each other lol

Let me know if you get HLDs Stealth as I'd be keen to see it.

Cheers

Slug

Esquire

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am

Wow, that’s great! I have to admit I don’t know much about the Stealth yaks aside from them being fast. It will be like stepping out of a Smartcar into a Lamborghini.

I dont have the space to store a 495 boat. I might be pushing it at 4.5. But I have watched a few videos on YouTube of an Ozzy guy Rokkit (or something similar) fishing from his Stealth. It looks so bloody fast. So it’s tempting. I might have to try and test drive a Stealth sometime to see if it suits me.

Sounds like the Kohi club will be thriving this summer regardless of what yak I go for.

Slugyak

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 am

Esquire wrote:Wow, that’s great! I have to admit I don’t know much about the Stealth yaks aside from them being fast. It will be like stepping out of a Smartcar into a Lamborghini.

I dont have the space to store a 495 boat. I might be pushing it at 4.5. But I have watched a few videos on YouTube of an Ozzy guy Rokkit (or something similar) fishing from his Stealth. It looks so bloody fast. So it’s tempting. I might have to try and test drive a Stealth sometime to see if it suits me.

Sounds like the Kohi club will be thriving this summer regardless of what yak I go for.
Haha yeah I've taken over the garage with my 495! Luckily she is understanding...for now. Yup same boat as Rokkitt (watched all his vids!) but longer. His latest is full carbon fibre, so lighter and faster again.

Weather gods aren't looking good for this weekend in the Coromandel eith 37kmh winds forecasted but I'll get some paddling in down there either way ;)
See ya in summer off Kohi :)

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:16 am

I can endorse the Stealth kayaks. Love mine. I have the fat heavy Fisha 500,(well compared to the other models it is!)
Ryan is at Gulf Harbour and has models available to try . Be careful, they are addictive. You won't believe how light and easy handling the 460 model is.

Glass is Class.. dedant

baitless
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: ProFisha 525
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Esquire wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am
Wow, that’s great! I have to admit I don’t know much about the Stealth yaks aside from them being fast. It will be like stepping out of a Smartcar into a Lamborghini.

I'm another Stealth lover mate. Upgraded to a Pro Fisha 525 from a Perception Swing a while back. It is perfect for the type of fishing I do down here in Wellington, chasing Kings and Tuna - see vid's below.

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/baitless/[/instagram]

Esquire

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Well I finally went and did the damn thing.

I am now the proud owner of an OK Big Game II (thanks Mike!). The yak made to keep obese American bass anglers afloat.

I haven’t taken it for a spin yet. Hoping to get out there on Sunday. Likely will be down at St Heliers around 7.30 am.

It came with a very cheeky bit of equipment I wasn’t initially looking for - a 34lb Watersnake electric motor. So no more horror slog paddles back from beyond Brown’s Island for me. And even though it’s not a fast yak, I should be able to get to the spots in quick time in the early morning.

Slugyak - let’s try and tee up a time to take our new steeds out from Kohi/St Heliers. Your super fast Stealth vs my electric motor. Bit of an upgrade from the CD yaks!

Cheers
Esq

• Information