Lower back pain

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
erectus
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: dunno

Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Never bothered me when I had a profish 400 but since upgrading to a reload it's been quite nasty not so much on the water but the days following... Any recommendations?
I can't say for sure it's the reload I was quite a bit fitter when I had the 400 and there's been a good six months or even a year between that kayak and the new one (work and stress and boat fishing inbetween) just wondering if anyone has some advice or been through the same..? Different seat or?
Cheers guys

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Had similar prob with my 440. Currently looking for some of those lumbar support. Haven’t pull the trigger tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUMBOZ
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6161

Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 am

yep have the same prob- hoping its not the reload as love every think else about it -have taken the seat out of it so just siting on the bottom now - can sit there for 7 hours no touble but find it bit hard walking for awhile afterwards-maybe more fishing will help :rofl:

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 am

I wear a cheap back brace whenever I go out - I find that helps a lot. (Any $2 store or TradeMe).

Get a decent seat for sure. The standard ones are pretty basic.

And make sure you tighten the straps up so your not slouching back and putting pressure on your back when you reach forward to paddle.

I don't find the Reload any more uncomfortable than my 3 other Kayaks - a stealth, ocean kayak scrambler, and some cheap little thing I can't remember the name.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 am

Core exercises a few time a week sorted mine out. My back is the best it has been since I hurt it when I was 16.

I have zero expertise on this subject but I did some googling and chose four exercises that looked reasonably simple and target a range of muscle groups. Takes me about 15 minutes to work through my little routine, which I do about 4 times per week.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am

Stretch!
My understanding is tight hammys can cause lower back pain. I used to struggle for a day of two after a long session on the water. A few gentle stretches or a short walk pre launch may help. Also flexing the legs while on the water? Seat position definetly makes a difference to how it supports you. best of luck

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 pm

I get left shoulder pain originating behind my shoulder blade, I find Kayaking actually relieves it. Sometimes I’ll stretch forward over my knees if I’m still too long. Also my seat is like a little beach chair so I’m not sitting in water.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

erectus

Wed May 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Yeah I used to do a fair bit of core exercises. Might be time to get back into them :| probably the solution too I'm pretty sure back pain was the reason I started doing them in the first place haha... Not sure why that thought never crossed my mind
But you'd have to think paddling alone would do a lot for the core anyway right?

Will have a crack at the stretching as well all good fun things... will keep the brace in mind too but as a last resort - i'd really prefer to try to correct it without needing one. Seems like something you'd end up relying on?

Any recommendations on seats?
I honestly found the 400 comfortable as hell with the standard seat. All day no worries (apart from the wet arse) Seems like the angle of ur legs is different in the reload? I'm going to try give a mates 400 a go on the weekend just to confirm.... Almost hoping it's my state of physical decay that's causing this but it's worth testing

Will let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully with pics :) cheers

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu May 10, 2018 9:13 am

erectus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Any recommendations on seats?
If cold makes your back worse then make sure you aren't sitting in a puddle of water in the yak. I got waterproof leggings for this purpose. Made a big difference.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 pm

I found the PF 400 was so much better for my back than the PF440, used to take a few steps and fall in a heap, but sweet as now... exercises are key mate

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Use a small Home made bean bag in the Reload and if it gets too bad I stretch forward and hang my legs over the side
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue May 15, 2018 3:11 pm

This is not meant to bag your current kayak but have you looked at other kayak options, first to spring to mind would be one with the "deck chair" type seat, you are elevated and sit on a comfy seat in a more natural position, I used to paddle a Kraken with one and some of the Ocean Kayak ones have them too and even some of the Chinese imports too, on the Kraken once I got used to the higher position you could sit on that all day..! Or may be a Stealth, the seating position is much lower and yes you sit in water all day but the biggest for me is the back of my thighs are supported, I know I feel better in my Stealth but it's not as pain free as the Kraken was after say eight hours+ in the seat...

The best clip in kayak seat I ever had was the Big Game from OK it wrapped around and was very high in the back (but no good if you have a low backed PFD) so I could sit back into it and the very thick seat base :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

AndrewRawlingson

Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 am

I wonder how much kayak fishing-related back pain comes from dead lifting 30kg on to the roof of an SUV? Just a thought.

erectus

Sun May 20, 2018 4:25 pm

I do a fair bit of surf launching so not sure if the high chair thing is a good idea? No doubt its a lot more comfortable... but it really seems the more I go out the less it bothers me so highly likely its just a fitness thing in my case.. will still look into upgrading the seat
I don't believe lifting the Kayak onto the roof racks is the issue but I am amazed at how much harder it is to get up there after a decent session compared to how light it feels before heading out

• Information