Anyone been out lately

Go on then, tell us your stories...
SitDown
Kayak Make: paddle power

Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Went out of Narrowneck yesterday morning crack of dawn
Paddled out to no7 then drifted in the current for about 300m then went back again for a longer drift, both times I managed to avoid all fish till about 830am, I was pretty much straight out from NN in the main channel on the Rangi side in 16m, got a 39 snap followed by a 46 on the next drop, then did the avoidance till 10, got the sulks & went home
Blooded a new rod on the snaps, okuma concept tournament 2-5kg matched with an old 2500 sustain I bought years ago but hardly used. Both snaps on 40g orange sliders
Spoke to a few other paddlers who had it hard going with smaller keepers & 1 paddler said green sliders were working when orange wasn't

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun May 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Yep. Out from Martin's Bay yesterday morning with the North Shore Kayak Fishing Club , did well. Nothing huge but the fish we're there in patches. I was lucky enough to blunder on a good area, some others not so much. :)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Slugyak
Kayak Make: Slug
Kayak Model: Slow lol

Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Sunday afternoon off Kohimarima was slow. Was trying out new (first) FF and saw a lot of sign below the surface on the FF but slow uptake. Just as I was pulling up the (maiden) anchor after dusk the bite came on but just a gurnard and KY to show for the afternoon. New to yak fishing so good to hear I wasn't the only one lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri May 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Every week mate ;)

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Not at all at the moment ☹️☹️
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Dream

Sun May 13, 2018 4:27 pm

awondering wrote:
Every week mate ;)
Kev check your pms! :D

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 am

Dream wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:27 pm
awondering wrote:
Every week mate ;)
Kev check your pms! :D
Whereabouts mate ? :D

SitDown

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

went out yesterday off NN around 9am, had less than 100m visibility in the fog which burnt off in the next 30mins, went into the channel, the tide just started to come in, basically just sat in one spot breeze against slow tide flow, didnt see any other paddlers. Went between no7 and yellow bouy, nothing on the sounder or takes on sliders & softies. Moved between the 2 posts in 7m got a horse kahawai on lime tiger softie, went towards the channel again, saw a bunch of paddlers heading in from rough rock area, I went the wrong way again, oh well, good to get out again

Slugyak

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:19 am

SitDown wrote:went out yesterday off NN around 9am, had less than 100m visibility in the fog which burnt off in the next 30mins, went into the channel, the tide just started to come in, basically just sat in one spot breeze against slow tide flow, didnt see any other paddlers. Went between no7 and yellow bouy, nothing on the sounder or takes on sliders & softies. Moved between the 2 posts in 7m got a horse kahawai on lime tiger softie, went towards the channel again, saw a bunch of paddlers heading in from rough rock area, I went the wrong way again, oh well, good to get out again
I was watching that fog from around East Bastion Reef, looked thick! Was beautiful where I was a no one else fishing either. A few paddlers headed over to Browns but that's about it. Sounder was pretty quiet there too but take home a couple of KY, one was around 60cm and put on a great display in and out of the water jumping like a marlin lol add to that a pannie snap and two Gurnard. Trying out some of Al Browns fish recipes tonight to take care of them all

Slugyak out ImageImage

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:22 am

I think it’s hard going at the moment. Up here, water temperature has dropped several degrees in a matter of weeks. I’ve struggled to get a feed on my last two trips. Hate to say it, but the guys using bait do seem to do better at this time of year.

Slugyak

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:I think it’s hard going at the moment. Up here, water temperature has dropped several degrees in a matter of weeks. I’ve struggled to get a feed on my last two trips. Hate to say it, but the guys using bait do seem to do better at this time of year.
Yeah I'm still a bait fisherman lol

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 am

Slugyak wrote:
SitDown wrote:went out yesterday off NN around 9am, had less than 100m visibility in the fog which burnt off in the next 30mins, went into the channel, the tide just started to come in, basically just sat in one spot breeze against slow tide flow, didnt see any other paddlers. Went between no7 and yellow bouy, nothing on the sounder or takes on sliders & softies. Moved between the 2 posts in 7m got a horse kahawai on lime tiger softie, went towards the channel again, saw a bunch of paddlers heading in from rough rock area, I went the wrong way again, oh well, good to get out again
I was watching that fog from around East Bastion Reef, looked thick! Was beautiful where I was a no one else fishing either. A few paddlers headed over to Browns but that's about it. Sounder was pretty quiet there too but take home a couple of KY, one was around 60cm and put on a great display in and out of the water jumping like a marlin lol add to that a pannie snap and two Gurnard. Trying out some of Al Browns fish recipes tonight to take care of them all

Slugyak out ImageImage

How come you've wrapped your fish in gladwrap?

Slugyak

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 pm

matwould wrote:
Slugyak wrote:

Slugyak out ImageImage

How come you've wrapped your fish in gladwrap?
Were going into fridge overnight...

dedant

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 pm

How do like the ski?

Glass is Class.. dedant

Slugyak

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

dedant wrote:How do like the ski?
Huh? Lol

dedant

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:03 pm

The Stealth. Fishing Ski.
Puts the fun back into paddling for me.( Exept when it tosses me sideways into the drink!)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Slugyak

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 pm

dedant wrote:The Stealth. Fishing Ski.
Puts the fun back into paddling for me.( Exept when it tosses me sideways into the drink!)
Lol oh right! Yeah I'm loving it! Clipping along at 8kph+ rather than 2-3kph if I was lucky!

Definitely a Stealth Fanboy now

Those sideways moves in surf or speed wobbles? Lol I just need to learn to take less gear now so I can fill the hold with fish!

SitDown

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Yeah I'm loving it! Clipping along at 8kph+ rather than 2-3kph if I was lucky!
I got 4.6kt (8.5kph) in the weekend for about 8 paddle strokes just around slack water, good for the ego, don't think I want to do that again...

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 am

60A9B856-28A9-48F5-88C3-34EF64A77341.jpeg
Hope you guys aren’t freezing your arses off.
It’s another day in paradise in Samoa. Fishing isn’t flash but eating heaps of raw fish, tuna sashimi and drinking heaps of cocktails.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

SitDown

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 pm

went to cornwallis on the manukau this morning, paddled out to no5 buoy, anchored in 10m water about 30m off the buoy away from the main channel. Pille cubes on dropper rigs, kept 3 kahawai, let go a gummy shark then headed back in, a little under 2hrs on the water, nice to finally catch something after a few back to back nothings

• Information