Eastern BOP Kayak Comp

The place to post information about fishing competitions and events, both kayak only and general fishing.
Jeff Symonds
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Ripples ZMT7453

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi all, need some feedback from all yakkers please. Due to the often inclement weather that is adversely affecting us in Jan/Feb most years we are thinking of shifting our comp date to the middle of winter, i.e, June/July?. Certainly the fishing is better. I have been in discussion with Viking and they support our thinking in that it tends to fit between the kayak comps that are happening, i.e, Beach & Boat, Taranaki and the Northland. The 2019 comp will be our 10th, so we want to make it a good one.
What I/we want to know from kayak fisho's is the following:

Q.1 would you support (read;come and fish) our EBOP Kayak fishing comp if it were a winter based comp. Yes or No?
Q.2 which month would suit you, i.e; May, June, July, August?

Really appreciate to hear from yo as it will help make our decision bases on what kayak fisho's want.

Just reply on this thread i the KayakNZ forum

Jeff Symonds
President Eastern Bay of Plenty Kayak Fishing Club
e mail: symondsjeff@xtra.co.nz or 0212286051
Ripples

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey Jeff,
No doubt for me that autumn/early winter is more settled weatherwise with better fishing. Doesnt mean that you wont hit an arse weekend like this one. Anywhere from april-august sounds good with back up weekend rather then harbour only if conditions dont suit. Also dont think there would be any harm opening the boundries up to include papamoa and the mount.
cheers

Potty
Kayak Model: GT

Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Jeff,
Changing the comp to the winter months would be awesome.
IMO the fishing is at its best out East over winter.
Another idea would be to open the boundary up a bit further East which would improve launching possibilities in poorer weather.
I would also like to see the maximum size limit in the Snapper section gone so we can target winter moochers.
You guys run an awesome comp.
Cheers Laurie

Jeff Symonds

Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Downtown wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm
Hey Jeff,
No doubt for me that autumn/early winter is more settled weatherwise with better fishing. Doesnt mean that you wont hit an arse weekend like this one. Anywhere from april-august sounds good with back up weekend rather then harbour only if conditions dont suit. Also dont think there would be any harm opening the boundries up to include papamoa and the mount.
cheers
Cheers for that. Appreciate your comments M
Ripples

Jeff Symonds

Mon May 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Potty wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 pm
Hi Jeff,
Changing the comp to the winter months would be awesome.
IMO the fishing is at its best out East over winter.
Another idea would be to open the boundary up a bit further East which would improve launching possibilities in poorer weather.
I would also like to see the maximum size limit in the Snapper section gone so we can target winter moochers.
You guys run an awesome comp.
Cheers Laurie
Cheers Laurie, appreciate your comments.

J
Ripples

• Information