Fish Finder Preservation

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
ClareQuilty
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm

So, back in the day when I was first looking at electronics for my kayak, I remember reading an article saying fish finders inevitably die a salty death on kayaks, the writer had been through half a dozen finders in his time. "Not me" I said. "I'll care for this thing like it's my first born."

Fast forward 8 years and around 4-5 years of active fishing and I just killed my third piece of kit :clap: (just out of warranty :swear: ) - After thinking I had learned my lesson on the past two FFs, I splashed out on a Dragonfly 4 DVS, which is the latest to meet its maker. Still operates fine, just the backlight died and with how the screens on these things are it makes it practically useless and is not cost effective to get it fixed.

So, here I am none the wiser, about to buy another one. Has anyone looked at the new Hook2 series? Price seems good but wondering if that reflects performance?

What are some of the best ways of keeping these things alive? I have never opted for a cover, which is probably a dumb move, as the ipx ratings have always falsely filled me with confidence.

Anyone DIY'd a cover before? If so, what materials did you use?

Thanks lads.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:35 pm

You can pick up a Rob Fort FF cover for $40-$50 depending on the size of the head unit.
I frequently get back after a splashy ride and the finder has stayed dry inside - biggest thing is it takes the all the pressure out of the wave impact.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Wed May 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Lanocote smeared on the rear socket and plugs. This is where most fishfinders fail. Also rinse the fishfinder off after use with fresh water and store in the hotwater cupboard.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 am

I wipe my down carefully with fresh water pat dry and then put it in a sealed(ish) cupboard with a compact dehumidifier. I put my PFD in their too (after fresh water rinse) which has VHF, PLB and strobe attached to it. Also my fishing cellphone.

The de-humidfier is on a plug-in timer that shuts off after 24hours - or it shuts off when water tank is full (2L).
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information