Fledgling Kayak fisher in Whangaparaoa

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Gavmania
Kayak Make: Aquatix
Kayak Model: Cobra Tandem

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi All - New to Kayak fishing - Prowling around Little manly and Matakatia in my cousins borrowed Aquatix Cobra Tandem - lotsa little fish but not much else except when managed to find myself in middle of a work up - fun (4 keepers in 20 mins - prob could have throw a boot over the side and caught something so no skill there to brag about)

Looking for advice on a kayak - prob a bit faster than the cobra tandem - fishing in shore with a view to crusing around the end of Wellington reef when I get vehicle transport for kayak sorted (roofracks etc)

Also looking to go out with other Kayak fishermen to learn some techniques (I'm only fishing soft baits and lures)

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Welcome aboard!

Hit up the North Shore Kayak fishing Club - bound to be some advice in there somewhere :lol:

Try out a few kayaks and find one that suits you and what you want to do.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 am

Hi mate

I am up on scott rd, I fish out of arkles a bit. I will probably head out from either waiwera or wenderholm tomorrow morning for a softbait session.

Fish are in close right now, been getting some good snapper in around 7m depth.

I started on a prowler 13 and would recommend it - fast enough and stable. Easy to get on and off the roof. I have a 4.5 elite now which is faster but a lot heavier to carry around.

Cheers
Patrick

Gavmania

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Cheers Patrick thanks for invite - this sat morning no go - I have to work... :(

I'm fishing out of Little manly at present (fisihing ma feet) easy walk to beach.

Might head out sat afternoon to catch the 4pm bite time - some success over last couple of days in the morning - 3 good pannies a Kawahai and a john dory.

Good luck tomorrow morning - would love to make it a rain check. - (but i still am in process of getting roof racks)

Thomas H NZ
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 am

Hi Gavmania,

I think I saw you running past our house. Is that you warm up training?

I am also new to kayak fishing and trying different techniques. So far for me bait (squid) and soft bait works best. I started with a small kayak to see if I would like it and have upgraded now to a Viking Reload which is excellent on water, but it is a heavy beast to get onto a car. Arkles Bay is my preferred launch beach so far. If you like we can meet up to exchanges experiences.

Cheers,
Thomas

Gavmania

Fri May 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Thomas H NZ wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 am
Hi Gavmania,

I think I saw you running past our house. Is that you warm up training?

I am also new to kayak fishing and trying different techniques. So far for me bait (squid) and soft bait works best. I started with a small kayak to see if I would like it and have upgraded now to a Viking Reload which is excellent on water, but it is a heavy beast to get onto a car. Arkles Bay is my preferred launch beach so far. If you like we can meet up to exchanges experiences.

Cheers,
Thomas
Ha Ha....yes if you saw a mildly overweight older chap running after a green Tandem kayak....lol :D :D

Softbaiting is working great for me at the moment. - about to setup with sliders aswell - also looking at trolling some lures for kingi's and kawahai.

will n doubt see you out there!!!

• Information