kaiteri

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 am

I was feeling the itch last week. Ive been making sinking stickbaits and got to the point of really needing to see how they swim. So off to stevens for an easy high tide launch. A horrid easterly swell n southeast wind had me bouncing around for the first hour n two huge red cod on softies had me wondering...water temp was down to 16deg.... pulled the drogue n headed for ngaio island and shelter. Half way down the wind dropped n everything was on. Glassy with birds working, regular large splashes n swirls and every softy getting smashed. Tried a few larger ones with no joy. 4" grubtails were doing the business. Tried micro jigs n dropped a couple of baits, looking for the big one. Had a bunch of great runs where either the hook didnt connect or (jeez im out of touch) cranked the drag up too far n pulled the hook. Kept a couple around 40cm. Was paddling back when i realised I hadnt tried my home made lures...next trip! Anyone else been out in the bay?

Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Yeah heaps of kahawai over Pepin Island, some big fish I must say, massive boil ups. Trevelly, gurnard, cod and tarakihi all to be had
Attachments
IMG_20180423_145847.jpg

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Went out yesterday morning in Golden Bay. Kahawai for Africa but no snapper to be found.

Three trawlers operating not too far off shore; the voluntary no-trawl zone in inner Golden Bay finishes on 30th April

peteatkina

Fri May 04, 2018 7:20 pm

kahawai everywhere!
had thoughts of leaping over the hill but not if trawlers in close. cable bay is tempting.... but think i will keep it local tomora. couple of new packs of sbs n new jigs to play with :clap: maybe kina as its been months since last outing there maybe kaiteri/stevens cause its easy n im lazy....
Nice trev ranson :y:

peteatkina

Sun May 06, 2018 9:54 am

Pulled into kaiteri carpark at the respectable time of 8am. Glassy n calm n plenty of cloud cover. I love this time of year. Cool but not cold, barely any wind, respectful tourist boat skippers, very few if any flotillas of terrorist kayakers and plenty of QUIET. Paddling around the point I noticed a couple of yaks fishing just short of ngaio island, so popped over to say hi. Mullet (from nelson) and mrs mullet were over for a change of scenery. I caught up again later on n Mrs mullet had a nice snap n big gurnard, while mullet was teasing little cudas by bouncing a softy on the surface then pulling it away just before they took it.
I struggled early on with nothing on jigs n a solitary ky on a sb. Closer to high tide things picked up and a change to a heavier jig head made the difference, with bruised banana being the flavour of the day. Ended up keeping the ky n 2 of 6 snaps. Water temp never got to 15deg but neither did air temp. Nice to spend a couple hours drifting on the tide and the paddle home was relaxing with plenty of time to enjoy it.

• Information