NEW KAYAK FISHING STORE IN NZ

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
MAXGARCIA
Kayak Make: hobie
Kayak Model: outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 pm

HI, I'M ACTUALLY A OWNER A FISHING KAYAK STORE IN MY COUNTRY , JUST FOR KAYAK ENTHUSIASTIC, IM PLANING TO MOVE TO NZ WITH MY FAMILY AND I WONDERING IS GOOD IDEA OPEN YHE SAME STORE THERE, MY STORE IN ONLY DEDICATED TO FISHER ON KAYAK, RODS, BAITS, KAYAKS SELL AND RENTAL, AND ALL KIND OF STUFF, IF SOME IN THE FORUN CAN GIVE IDEAS WHAT BEST PLACE, IS ENOGH MARKET THERE? ETC ETC

VERY THANK FOR YOUR HELP.. SEE YOU SOON

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 pm

MAXGARCIA wrote:HI, I'M ACTUALLY A OWNER A FISHING KAYAK STORE IN MY COUNTRY , JUST FOR KAYAK ENTHUSIASTIC, IM PLANING TO MOVE TO NZ WITH MY FAMILY AND I WONDERING IS GOOD IDEA OPEN YHE SAME STORE THERE, MY STORE IN ONLY DEDICATED TO FISHER ON KAYAK, RODS, BAITS, KAYAKS SELL AND RENTAL, AND ALL KIND OF STUFF, IF SOME IN THE FORUN CAN GIVE IDEAS WHAT BEST PLACE, IS ENOGH MARKET THERE? ETC ETC

Where are you from? NZ is a small market with 4-5M ppl spread across north and south island. Not sure if its sustainable to open a dedicated kayak fishing shop although I would love to have more option in the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 am

MAXGARCIA wrote:
HI, I'M ACTUALLY A OWNER A FISHING KAYAK STORE IN MY COUNTRY , JUST FOR KAYAK ENTHUSIASTIC, IM PLANING TO MOVE TO NZ WITH MY FAMILY AND I WONDERING IS GOOD IDEA OPEN YHE SAME STORE THERE, MY STORE IN ONLY DEDICATED TO FISHER ON KAYAK, RODS, BAITS, KAYAKS SELL AND RENTAL, AND ALL KIND OF STUFF, IF SOME IN THE FORUN CAN GIVE IDEAS WHAT BEST PLACE, IS ENOGH MARKET THERE? ETC ETC

There is already a Hobie retailer/agent in NZ - http://www.nzwatershed.co.nz/

The best place (most population) would be to base it in Auckland.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Mental wrote:

Sorry Mental, I'm quite surprised by those answers of yours. Firstly, Rob's store, Kayak Adventures sounds much more like what MAXGARCIA has in mind than Watershed.

I'm not sure that Auckland would be the best place. It has the highest population for sure, but there are tackle shops, boat shops and the likes around every corner here - Burnsco being one example of a store offering both kayaks and loads of tackle. And the price of property in Auckland is way out of proportion to the remaining market in this area (just my opinion).

Personally I would be more inclined to look at other smaller towns and see whether there'd be enough of a market to do what Rob and Janet have been doing for so many years. Max, just keep in mind that Rob Fort (the owner of Kayak Adventures) is a household name in NZ Kayak fishing and I think his success is based a lot more on reputation than just finding a cosey little town like the Coromandel.

And as nobody else has said it yet, be careful of writing everything in CAPITAL LETTERS. It's considered as shouting and you'll probably get more responses if you don't shout :)
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:27 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:
Mental wrote:

Sorry Mental, I'm quite surprised by those answers of yours. Firstly, Rob's store, Kayak Adventures sounds much more like what MAXGARCIA has in mind than Watershed.

I'm not sure that Auckland would be the best place. It has the highest population for sure, but there are tackle shops, boat shops and the likes around every corner here - Burnsco being one example of a store offering both kayaks and loads of tackle. And the price of property in Auckland is way out of proportion to the remaining market in this area (just my opinion).

Personally I would be more inclined to look at other smaller towns and see whether there'd be enough of a market to do what Rob and Janet have been doing for so many years. Max, just keep in mind that Rob Fort (the owner of Kayak Adventures) is a household name in NZ Kayak fishing and I think his success is based a lot more on reputation than just finding a cosey little town like the Coromandel.

And as nobody else has said it yet, be careful of writing everything in CAPITAL LETTERS. It's considered as shouting and you'll probably get more responses if you don't shout :)
Funny you say that FOM. I was shouting when I read that post.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Mental
Site Admin

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Sorry FoMI think you took my post the wrong way, I was just pointing out as he paddles/peddles a Hobie that NZ already has a Hobie dealer nothing to do with the current retailer/store itself...

And having worked in the kayak retail industry for more than a few years now I can tell you that kayaks are predominately sold in volume in Auckland, this is borne from the crazy freight costs we pay in NZ to ship kayaks around the country so to avoid those costs put your kayaks where the people are... and yes I agree the high Auckland costs do put the pressure on starting any business here..!

I have been down the path of opening a "kayak fishing store" here in Auckland and got very very close to pulling the trigger but the store and location I wanted got snapped up by an overseas investor and the existing store demo'ed and on it was built a childcare centre... The population in NZ is, as you pointed out, small at best and a kayak fishing shop would only ever survive as a business in Auckland is if it appealed to the wider fishing community and included stock standard bait and tackle sales alongside the core kayak fishing business.

Cheers, Mental
FatherOfMany wrote:

Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

SitDown
Kayak Make: paddle power

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm

MAXGARCIA wrote:
HI, I'M ACTUALLY A OWNER A FISHING KAYAK STORE IN MY COUNTRY
Post a link to your website please

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:39 pm

my 10 cents

Reading all that's gone before -

yes Auckland is the place if only for the big numbers.

But I would suggest that unless there is a stunning reason, to go to a Kayak one stop shop, that it would be difficult in Auckland.

For example, I can go to Barry's Point Rd and buy a Kayak in one shop, walk a few metres, to a very good fishing and tackle shop. Over the road to get a Harley Davidson and I think there's a Dive shop and a Surf shop and a Standup Paddle Board shop and god knows what else I've forgotten about in that short stretch of road.

For me I can get all I need in one small area.

As mentioned in previous posts, there's a good living to be made in small town NZ. I have no suggestions as to where, I would think that a lot of research be entertained and don't neglect the tourist market. Maybe the Caitlins area south of Dunedin (dodgy in winter) or up North somewhere, research.

Just my Humble Opinion
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

MAXGARCIA
Kayak Make: hobie
Kayak Model: outback

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 am

thanks all for your help, i kwon is small market but i think that is a market that will rise in the time, i,m hobie dealer here maybe in nz i can keep the dealer or trade with the actually , i kwon there are many trackle store there but i was thinking just the fishing kayaks, a lot of brands of kayak, accessories etc etc , maybe rental for tourist , maybe buy a small boat to take tax kayak for the best fishing point etc, i don want to became rich on this i just want to earn just the necessary to support my family, please if you see any specific town , tell me to check it out, really thanks

Mental
Site Admin

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 am

MAXGARCIA wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 am
thanks all for your help, i kwon is small market but i think that is a market that will rise in the time, i,m hobie dealer here maybe in nz i can keep the dealer or trade with the actually , i kwon there are many trackle store there but i was thinking just the fishing kayaks, a lot of brands of kayak, accessories etc etc , maybe rental for tourist , maybe buy a small boat to take tax kayak for the best fishing point etc, i don want to became rich on this i just want to earn just the necessary to support my family, please if you see any specific town , tell me to check it out, really thanks
Another option is to buy an existing Canoe & Kayak franchise/store... https://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz/about-us/
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

• Information