How about a 'Craziest Lure' competition?

The place to post information about fishing competitions and events, both kayak only and general fishing.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Perhaps something that can catch more than one fish (so we know it wasn't a fluke)?
I've used the clear plastic from a BIC ball point pen with good results.
Also a glue stick for those hot melt glue guns. Kahawai will strike just about anything.

Was thinking today while looking at a feathered mouse that is used as a cat's toy that it might make a useful lure. So the idea struck me it could make for an interesting competition. Perhaps have to catch and photograph at least two fish caught on the lure.

Anyone else keen to see what crap they can turn into a lethal fish slayer?

Chocolate fish to the winner.
Or perhaps different categories for cheapest, sub $1, most expensive, longest, and hopefully the most coveted WTF category?

Because Kahawai will strike anything, maybe the two fish that need to be caught and photo'd need to be two different species?

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Dude, have a look at the "Fishing Lures" section of AliExpress it will keep you occupied for hours if not days :wasntme:

kingiFiddler

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am

Things that are not fishing lures but re-purposed, DIY, etc.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 am

I'm keen to join. I'm working on something at the moment. Will take a few weeks to get it sorted. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

kingiFiddler

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Schecter wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:22 am
I'm keen to join. I'm working on something at the moment. Will take a few weeks to get it sorted. :y:
A few weeks? Crikey, that's dedication.

This will form the basis of my entry. It's got 20lb moocher written all over it.

lureComp2.jpg
lureComp2.jpg (8.12 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 am

Growing up I saw a sparkplug, beer can tabs and a flattened Dynabolt sleeve used for kahawai. A few strands of heavy knitting wool worked when trolled ( red for 'couta, white for kahawai) Hohepa showed us how to turn a Moro bar wrapper or chip packet into a flasher rig. I have knicked tea spoons and with a bit of work with a hacksaw and hand drill ( remember them? :lol: ) made servicable spinners.
Film canisters and roll on deoderant lids for marlin and tuna lures ( credit Bill Hall not M. Watson for that ;) )
30yrs ago I was playing with saltwaterfly tying using any bit of feather, fur and any shiny tinsel stuff I could get my sticky fingers on. Made some truely horrendous creations that also caught fish ( I think they were dumber back then? ) Cast resin poppers and lure heads with inserts made from bog and dolls eyes. Was fun to muck around with. No photos though unfortunately.

Glass is Class.. dedant

kingiFiddler

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:33 pm

dedant wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 am
Growing up...Was fun to muck around with. No photos though unfortunately.
High time to recreate your youth then and photograph the results. Let's see what craziness you can catch fish on.

kingiFiddler

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 pm

So, it arrived, was smaller than I thought, but had a rattle in it which wasn't expected.
before.jpg
before.jpg (9.49 KiB) Viewed 656 times
The suction cup will hopefully make a useful wobbler on the line ahead of the mouse, so I drilled a hole through it.
suctionCup.jpg
suctionCup.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Had to surgically insert the hook. Unfortunately the surgery had complications and the rattle no longer works.
operation.jpg
operation.jpg (23.24 KiB) Viewed 656 times
operation2.jpg
operation2.jpg (16.88 KiB) Viewed 656 times

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Here's one fo you. I spent a surprisingly pleasant weekend in Auckland. We went to Kelly Tarltons. In the gift shop, I spied a toy that would make an awesome kingfish softbait. As per picture, about 10 inches long and had some weight to it. Might even be better than a Slug-go or Hogy etc. If I had a rod capable of chucking it out, I might have blown $5.

kingiFiddler

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks for that. Who woulda thunk Kelly Tarltons of all places was selling Kingi lures :-)

• Information