Chill Pod Tips

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Red400
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Anyone got any tips for making a Viking Chillpod more efficient? I find that a bag of salt ice is pretty much all water after a morning on the water, especially over summer. Any mods to get better insulation or are the insulated fish bags a better option? Love the convenience of the chill pod so would rather make some changes than buy new.

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: 525

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:31 pm

I found hot water bottles with Frozen salt water worked better :y:
Profish RELOAD
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:43 pm

GHOST RIDER wrote:I found hot water bottles with Frozen salt water worked better :y:

Yep... Do the same !

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Not sure it would work with the chilly pod (or other kayak ice box things) but with real chilly bins it's best too cool it down before you use it, i.e. the night before with ice blocks (or the hot(?) water bottles above), they will bring down the ambient temp of the bin then you are putting your ice into an already cold bin rather than using that ice to cool down the body/plastic/air in the bin.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Could you line the inside with like yoga matt type foam or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Pre-cool as mental says and on a sunny day it doesn't hurt to keep it wet on the outside.

I wouldn't line the inside the benefit of a chill pod is that it's a hard material.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

gibro712
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 pm

I use a chill pod (Ice Box) on my Ocean Kayak. Obviously different to yours but probably the same principal

In the weekend I put a tagit catch bag as a liner on the inside of it and crammed that with 1 bag of salt ice at around 4.30am. It kept my pre-broken down salt ice easily, and kept my catch well chilled until evening.

Then I just removed the tagit catch bag (make shift liner) from the pod and clean it separately at the end of the day.

Don't now about you, but after having the same issues my self, this system works well for me.

Cheers
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Red400 wrote: I find that a bag of salt ice is pretty much all water after a morning on the water, .
That is exactly how I like it to be after a morning on the water, so the cold water gets right into the fish, a nice cold slurry :y:

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm

Turf the chill pod and get an insulated fish bag preferably a heavy duty PVC one that won't spike up too much and use that .
Basically Chill pods are a big sloshing receptacle that has far too much dead air space (Bags don't , they only accommodate what goes in ) catch and "Techni Ice"(Tm) slicker pads , colder than Salt Ice .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkIBB6_Oo0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The slickers don't thaw and heat up as much either (the pre cool and saltwater cold bottles a great idea too).
Any fish bin or chilly bin benefits from a closed cell foam floating lid for the same reasons , keeping heated up air space away from contents and cooling medium .
The deck bag I use holds heaps of catch in full summer most of the day and a wet hessian sack or just splashing sea water regularly over it gets evaporation and cooling to outside surface further enhancing benefits of a well designed insulated bag .
Most of all do not believe all the hype the purveyors of chill pods and such say, some of us know better and invent gear that works and dosn't cost exorbitant amounts-

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Personally I would never go back to a fish bag.

I pre-chill the chill pod with a couple of slickers before I go fishing. I add salt ice and frozen bait on the way. At the beach I add a little sea water to the ice to make a slurry. I keep the lid closed on the water.

I've been out for ~6 hours trolling on a hot, sunny and calm January day with 21 deg water temperature and after cleaning all my gear at home I still had a wet slurry in the chill pod. And the fish were cold enough to make my fingers ache when I cleaned them.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 am

Hi All,

Hijacking / carrying on this thread.

I have just bought some expanding foam for a job inside my house. I saw something a little while ago about people putting foam inside the lid of their chill pod for a bit of added insulation. They said this worked well and the pics I saw looked very clean and tidy. Seeing as i'll have some spare foam after completing this small job on my house I figured i would do this to my lid too.

Any tips on this process?

Where to drill holes? How many holes? etc etc

Cheers

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information