Cleaning connectors post trip

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Pronto
Kayak Model: Frenzy

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:58 pm

I just got my first finder for my yak. What do you guys use to clean connectors post trip?

vr4king

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Easy I don't.....all my plugs connectors etc have an extremely healthy amount of die-electric grease filling them up

No stress 3-4yrs fishing and only re-applied once

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Every now and again smear them with a coat of Lanocote
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Pronto

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Where can I pick those up from?

Hairy_Snappa
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Watching this with interest as I am looking to acquire a finder in the near future. :-D

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:21 am

I use a long life protectant to limit electrolysis too (Wynn's Viscotene in my case, but Lanocote is also excellent), but I don't stop there.

After each session (or at the end of the trip if on a multi-day mission) I give the connectors a gentle rinse with fresh water to flush away any surface salt before it becomes embedded in the sticky corrosion protection. I also check for dirt, especially after a dusty far north mission.

If dirt is present, or after every few trips, I flush away the corrosion protection (Viscotene or Lanocote) with CRC 2-26. This cleans away dirt and any salt that's been caught in the sticky stuff, and improves the electrical properties of the contacts. After 24 hours I then reapply some long the long life protection.

With a little care and attention electronics can last a long time on kayaks. Currently my oldest sounder is a Humminbird 798 that now has 1140hrs on the clock - this unit is still on it's original transducer and has one power lead replacement because of a pinched cable. My Elite 7 and old NSS7 have several hundred hours between them, and are both on all original cables and connectors.

The one thing I believe is critical to long cable and connector life is to only have your battery connected while the head unit is installed and in use. Leaving the battery connected unnecessarily, especially when the head unit isn't connected greatly increases the risk of electrolysis issues.

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Pronto

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:51 am

Cheers for the tips. I went out yesterday but there was so much spray coming in that I didn't bother taking the sounder out of its bag.

vr4king

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Just checked the stuff I use its a Dow Corning valve grease with high dielectric properties I filled the connections to the brim and never had an issue with shorting etc

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information