Should a new deep cycle battery be charged?

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 pm

My question? Should a new AGM Deep Cycle battery be charged when the courier delivers it?

I bought myself a new electric motor last week and finally had enough personal spending money to buy a battery this week.

My 80AH battery arrived today and I thought I'd just quickly top up the charge with my $25 Jaycar charge, which I use to charge my FF battery. An hour or so later the light's still on, so I start asking Google about amps and amps per hour and mA and stuff I knew and still know very little about. Turns out my 350mA charger would take something like 228 hours to charge the 80AH battery. So, m friend says he's got a "fast charger", so off to his house to fetch his 900mA charger, which would take somewhere over 80 hours to charge this battery. By now it's too late to go to Mitre 10 to buy a more powerful charger, so looks like I'm not taking my motor along tomorrow :(

Anyhow, I thought these batteries weren't meant to be discharged below 50-80%, so why would it not be fully charged when I receive it? I guess it's quite possible that it might be only 20% discharged, but even that would take these chargers forever to "top up".
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

chrisbjenkins
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Marlin

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Stink one, I would think it would be fairly well charged already? Maybe leave it overnight on the higher rated charger and see how it goes?

I think most batteries will say on them a recommended/max Amp rating for charging. Then grab a charger rated just under that from jaycar so you don't have to wait too long next time!

vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Pro GT
VHF Call Sign: nil

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:54 am

A battery that size must be charged with a 4 to 6amp charger, one that will charge and then maintain when the battery is fully topped up. They are known as a smart charger. They can be purchased at Super Cheap Auto for around 80 to 100 dollars. Check which is right one, as they have several different models. A deep cycle battery can be run down quite alot and then recharged again without damaging it, that is what they are designed for. Hope this helps. :y:

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:34 pm

Not really a battery designed to be blast charged either. Dont use cheap end charges or your battery life will be very limited. cycling batteries are generally best. have been doing a bit of research in this very department :)
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

• Information