Sulivans Bay for a newbie

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:45 pm

Hey Everyone

Usually, fish at narrow neck but wanting to try somewhere different (mainly to actually try and bring some fish home after a few bad trips!!!).

How is Sullivan bay for beginners? Anything I need to watch out for? Any tips as to easy spots, read about a hole opposite the launch beach?

Cheers in advance

Scooter
Kayak Model: Pro Fish Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7344

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Used to fish there all the time when I lived in AK. Great spot.

Have caught fish everywhere there. The hole app the beach does hold fish but I've found better fishing outside the harbour mouth on the edges of the channels. There's a drop off / hole tucked in behind Pudding Island that has been good to me first thing in the AM. Over the sand between the mouth and Saddle holds too. If you aim at Whangaparoa Pen. you'll drift down over some contours that are worth a crack and directly south of Saddle there is a reef and then some contours worth fishing. I've pulled 2 x 20pounders out of there.

If the weather is good paddling around Saddle is good too - fish the weed lines (I've nabbed a few Dory from there - and you might see birds doing their thing around there too. Once you're paddle fit and confident Motuora Island is def worth the effort.

What to look out for? Boat traffic - especially if you're in the harbour. And there are some serious currents in the harbour mouth on the outgoing esp - in bad weather it can create a little stand up rolling wave which you need to be mindful of.

Love it there though - normally it's pretty quiet, you can get a feed even if you're not re-writing the record books - have been skunked a few times but who cares when there are Kereru, Tuis, Little Blue Penguins, Dolphins and the odd Thresher to hand about with.

Badfisherman

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Awesome, that’s fantastic. If the weather holds I may give it a crack this weekend.

Thanks a lot for the info. See if I can get a feed

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I've also had pretty good success there in Summer. Not tried it too much in Winter though.

My mate caught a 15lb behind Saddle while I was paddling close by. And I caught a 19lb 14oz on the mainland side of Saddle. So clearly some big fish frequent the area if the post above is anything to go by.

Spring and Autumn i've mostly had success early morning or late evening. It's either been dead when the sun comes up after dawn, or dead when the suns up before dusk. Probably like that anywhere though.

The channel between Saddle and East Mahurangi seems to hold fish. Plenty of life around there.

And the drive to the bay on a sunny day is simply stunning.

SitDown

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:35 pm

only fished sullies once with the north shore kayak fishing club
its also known as "no fish bay" haha

north shore kayak fishing club has a club meetup this Saturday at Martins bay, might be worth considering
http://www.nskfc.org.nz/2020-Calendar/NewTab1
cheap membership & good bunch of ppl, plus its good to learn a new spot & buddy up with someone if you want to

Badfisherman

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:56 pm

Thanks both. Was planning on a trip out on friday somewhere as got day off and was thinking of Sullivan's.

I just joined the facebook page of the north shore club the other week. I'm in onehunga but all my fishing seems to be north of the bridge.

Cant make Saturday which is a real shame as Martin's bay is also on the list , need to pay subs and head along to the next meeting.

Be good to get out with other people and get some tips

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

SitDown

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:24 pm

East auckland has a club as well, loacted at Half moon bay I think... very active it seems with club trips away, might be closer to you than the north shore ?
Known as eakfc on FB.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:41 pm

The East Auckland Kayak Fishing Club fishes predominantly around Orere Point (incl. Kawakawa Bay, Kaiaua, Waitawa, etc), but occasionally ventures north of the bridge. A couple of times a year they also do weekend trips to Papa Aroha and Oakura.

The club meets on the first Wednesday of the month at the Panmure Yacht club.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

• Information