Spur of the moment to Tiritiri Island

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 pm

After 'pulling the pin' on a planned Jones Day mission for Sat morning I decided.....'might as well have a big night' with Mr Jim Beam in front of the TV. Crashed at 10pm and woke at 6am to discover the weather forecast had improved dramatically. After some grumbling and mumbling from me missus I was dressed and out of the house 20 minutes later and heading for Army Bay. A very rushed start had me on the Black Mamba and paddling by 7.10am. Hit a good paddle rhythm and stretched the arms which felt great. Aside from a bit of rough stuff off the end of Whanga it was pretty fine conditions. 7km and just over 50 minutes later I was at Tiritiri Island and throwing out the softbaits. Got a nice fat pannie of around 50cm which I kept. Then got back to back 15lb and 12lb models which both went back to fight another day. Bite died off dramatically as the sun rose, got a couple more modest pannies around the 40cm mark. Called it quits at 12 noon and was back at the car packing up by 1pm...great morning outImage
Attachments
Tiri 15lb.jpg
Tiri 12lb.jpg
tiri vista.jpg
Looking back at Whanga.jpg

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:40 pm

The picture of the snapper eyeing up your gonads needs captions. :D

Glass is Class.. dedant

46John
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Well done and I am a real fan of letting anything over 10 pounds go. Well done.

Seanmcd
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:55 pm

Awsome catch mate. Nice to hear of the big ones back in the drink.Hopefully greeted by the fish gods tomorrow

Rabbit

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 am

Personally i've always had this mildly shitty 'after taste' when taking a big old snapper....in my heart of hearts i've always felt that taking the big ones is not the right thing to do when they had a good chance of going back and surviving........but the old ego is a powerful thing and wants you to keep it to show off. Not only that, the big ones are harder to fillet and don't taste as nice as a nice 40cm pannie.

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 am

Nice fish!

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:03 am

I like 45 - 50 cm fish. Nice size fillets. If you catch snapper from >20 metres it is likely that they won't survive due to barotrauma. This is based on some good studies from Australia. If I catch a big snapper >40 metres, it is usually toast by the time it hits the surface. Unfortunately, big snapper seem more susceptible than smaller specimens for some reason. Catch and release is great if the fish survive, otherwise you are just feeding the sharks and further damaging the snapper population by continuing to fish.

https://niasra.uow.edu.au/content/group ... 143661.pdf

Rabbit

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:03 am
I like 45 - 50 cm fish. Nice size fillets. If you catch snapper from >20 metres it is likely that they won't survive due to barotrauma. This is based on some good studies from Australia. If I catch a big snapper >40 metres, it is usually toast by the time it hits the surface. Unfortunately, big snapper seem more susceptible than smaller specimens for some reason. Catch and release is great if the fish survive, otherwise you are just feeding the sharks and further damaging the snapper population by continuing to fish.

https://niasra.uow.edu.au/content/group ... 143661.pdf
100% agree

46John

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:14 pm

Andrew Rawlinson - that’s why I love targeting big kelpies in the shallows in winter... big fish, great fights and great survival rates.
I personally find dredging snapper up from 20m plus pretty boring... and as you say - most die. But each to their own - I know you prefer deep water fishing.

46John

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:16 pm

And Rabbit - I also had the ego issues a few years ago but over it now. A photo of a clearly living, dark red kelpie is way better to show mates than a faded dead old donkey... I hardly ever keep more than 3 snapper either.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 pm

46John wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:14 pm
But each to their own - I know you prefer deep water fishing.
I do, very much so. No snags and lots of fish! Plus I love the buzz of seeing the fish come up to the jig on the sounder! What I try and do is decide how much "meat" I need at the beginning of each trip. Usually, it's one big snapper, although in all honesty, I'd rather not catch them; or a few 45 - 50cm fish; or if times are hard, a limit of smaller fish. Thankfully, the latter doesn't happen very often! When I get what I need, I stop fishing or target kingies. It doesn't always go to plan, but usually works out.

Rabbit

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 am

46John wrote:
And Rabbit - I also had the ego issues a few years ago but over it now. A photo of a clearly living, dark red kelpie is way better to show mates than a faded dead old donkey... I hardly ever keep more than 3 snapper either.
I'm with you on that...i still struggle some times with the old ego wanting me to keep the old boy/girl but in the end it feels right and proper to see it swimming away.

And iv'e really started to go 'off' the kayak fishing comps where the biggest fish wins for exactly the same reason...i personally think that form of competition is not right any longer. Rob Forts comp which has a maximum length weigh in rule is much more appropriate...i think the max length is 60cm so the objective is to catch the fattest 60cm snapper.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Rabbit wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 am
46John wrote:
I'm with you on that...i still struggle some times with the old ego wanting me to keep the old boy/girl but in the end it feels right and proper to see it swimming away.

And iv'e really started to go 'off' the kayak fishing comps where the biggest fish wins for exactly the same reason...i personally think that form of competition is not right any longer. Rob Forts comp which has a maximum length weigh in rule is much more appropriate...i think the max length is 60cm so the objective is to catch the fattest 60cm snapper.
I understand why you are going off contest, I have a similar attitude.
Really the objective for the Rob Fort meet up was a great social get together, sponsored products were given away like a lucky dip . Fish caught were a bonus . We turned it into a pissing contest ( as we are wont to do ) . I think that’s why the max length thing came into it, they tried to limit the large fish being taken .
Some contests were really bad for wasting the caught fish, prizes offered for mystery weight and average weight, combined total weight all encouraged keeping and weighing in everything. Often the fish remained the property of the contest to be auctioned off after. Wasteful and dumb .

Glass is Class.. dedant

46John

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:36 am

Further to the discussion about releasing fish caught from the depths - there is a tool that has a better effect on release rates for fish suffering barotrauma... and it is not the old Matt Watson hypodermic needle... there is basically a heavily weighted, barbless hook that gets the fish back down to the depths quickly and then falls out the mouth. Research shows that this improves survival rates markedly.

coach
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:47 pm

I have a lower limit of 35cm, and an upper of 55cm. Even if they are showing no signs of life, I have a lead weight with a hook that drops them quickly to the sea floor. one yank on the rope and they are left there to hopefully swim again.
What I lack in speed and ability, I make up for by being slow.
Snapper PB 72cm, trevally 12lb.

coach

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:53 pm

"Rob Forts fishing Social" this year we are looking at removing longest snapper altogether and replacing it with "best mixed bag" taking away the emphasis altogether of large snapper and testing the anglers overall fishing skills.

Beanpole

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi Coach, where can I find some details on the Rob Fort fishing social? I'm keen to try out a couple of comps, not because I have any chance of winning anything but just looks like a great way to meet like minded people. Really like the sound of a comp with a bigger sustainability focus.

Cheers

SitDown

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 pm

coach

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 am

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Hi Coach, where can I find some details on the Rob Fort fishing social? I'm keen to try out a couple of comps, not because I have any chance of winning anything but just looks like a great way to meet like minded people. Really like the sound of a comp with a bigger sustainability focus.

Cheers
Beanpole exactly right, go to Coromandel kayak Adventures web page, or give give Rob and Janet a call and they will point you in the right direction. :y:

• Information