11/01 - Army Bay

Go on then, tell us your stories...
matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 pm

Another mission to the Tiri Channel from Army Bay. This time with my mate Blair. Started fishing about 6.45pm. Plenty of small floating stuff in the water, a little weird. Absolutely beautiful evening for it though.

Nice weather, incoming tide, at dusk. Seemed like it'd be a good session. Buuut, was pretty slow. Managed about 6 snapper, only 1 of which was legal at 43cm so at least I had 1 for dinner. Also kept a 32cm gurnard to complement that.

The 80g orange slider I had been using had lost it's skirt between my last few kayak / boat trips and the weekend so I changed to a multicoloured 100g slider on one rod and a bottom ship lure on the other. Both worked sporadically. Bites always seemed to be in the 20-25m mark, in the middle of the channel, and not when I drifted shallower towards the rocks.

Great to be out there though. :y:

Waylander

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Do you need to be 20+ meters for the sliders to work, Keen to give em a go but im mostly in less than 15m.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.1 Ultra

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

matwould

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Waylander wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm
Do you need to be 20+ meters for the sliders to work, Keen to give em a go but im mostly in less than 15m.
I can't say I'm an expert at using sliders/slow jigs - I usually stick to soft baits on the kayak and when doing so I am fishing in less than 15m. I just happened to fish the Tiri channel (20m +) for the first time in ages recently after my mate said it was going off (and subsequently catching my limit on an 80g orange slider - the slider at his advice). So I kept returning there for it to never be as good as my first time. I'll probably try somewhere else next time.

Anyway, I've done a bit of reading previously. And no, nothing says you can't use sliders in shallower water, and much like a soft bait jig head I believe you're supposed to match the weight of it to the depth of water you're in, and generally the lighter the better as it has more natural movements in the water. But some people seem to catch fish using any weight slider, and in any depth. So who knows.

Maybe the mayor from the self-kept NN comp can advise as I think they use sliders and clean up. Or anyone else?

Just get out there and try it. Or leave one in the rod holder :y:

Waylander

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 am

Yea, I should just take the plunge and give one a go, softies just never seem to fail me so have been a bit reluctant to try something new.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.1 Ultra

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

matwould

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Waylander wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 am
Yea, I should just take the plunge and give one a go, softies just never seem to fail me so have been a bit reluctant to try something new.
Same - I think I will be returning to softies in shallow water too.

• Information