Interesting first trip - surf plus newbie

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:53 am

So had an interesting first outing. Away for the holidays and launched off Tokerau beach, there was some big surf running and like an idiot thought should be fine as was keen to try kayak. Was fine leaving the beach, kayak handled really nicely.

had a good paddle round and a bit of a fish but nothing showing and then headed back in. Enjoyed being out there.

Heading back in was the point I realised I’d made a mistake and was out of my depth. Surf had got worse in the hour I was out, long story short mistimed the wave, turned sideways and got dumped.

Cue snapped paddle, lost phone and lost rod tip. Expensive first trip.

Valuable lessons learnt, one I should have listen to advice and had no business being out there as was above my skill level landing in the surf, on the plus side learnt a lot in one trip,.

Reiterated what people said that I underestimated, if your not sure head home. Next launch will be flat and I’ll stop being an idiot!

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:45 am

I think we should all embrace our inner idjit. For example, make a habit of getting dumped out of the 'yak. By that I mean leave the gear on the beach and try a few launches and landings, especially the latter. When the surf is up, take the yak out and try to ride the waves if no surfers and swimmers around to hit. Actually start to enjoy getting pummelled in the surf and having to swim to chase the yak that has stayed on the wave you got dumped on.

Then strap the gear down and see if it stays strapped on the next dumping and if so then make that your default routine on every single landing - stop and strap it all down before the final landing.

:-)

There's always plenty to learn. If we can do so without killing ourselves, then fantastic.

Hairy Little Dwarf
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 pm

Your phone possibly located - can you message me your contact details and I'll pass on to the finder...
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Badfisherman

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:29 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 pm
Your phone possibly located - can you message me your contact details and I'll pass on to the finder...
That’s awesome hairy little dwarf. Any help much appreciated. Messaged you

Hairy Little Dwarf
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm

Nothing received yet...

Click here:
d.JPG
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Badfisherman

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Well thanks hld, reunited with the phone and can highly recommend the burnsco waterproof phone case!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Surf, your enemy so if sideways on to it, hit it over the head, violently, aggressively. In this way you have control and you can now lean on the paddle and lean into the wave. You should now be simply sliding sideways, a bit of forward movement and land on the beach right way up.

Never lean towards the beach. Stretch out to hit the wave as far away as you can reach with the flat of the paddle. Think "Aggression".

Badfisherman

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks all, think a few flat launches and then I'll find somewhere to have a play in the surf! Leaning into the wave would have probably saved my paddle!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:48 pm

We have a training weekend each year at Okains Bay, Banks Peninsula, Canterbury. Been doing it for about 25 years. All free except camp fees unless you drive over each day from Christchurch.

One of our paddlers came up to me a couple of years ago and she said, "You said 'Think aggressive' last year after you saw me capsize. I went out again and you were right and I had no more problems."

We usually have nice surf there and if a bit big, then don't go out as far, simply pick the size you want though most times it is a bit small.

The training weekend is not just surf but includes everything kayak related and with the best instructors in the country - free.

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Funny, I've been sideways to a 1m+ wave and stayed up, but been flipped by a 30cm swell that surfed me when I wasn't ready for it. Thigh straps can make a huge difference to control in the surf - I had them off when I got flipped.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

• Information