Transducer Silicone Removal

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
TBreezy

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 am

Before I completely butcher this process, has anyone removed a transducer from the inside of their hull? One that has been installed with silicone?

I bought some silicone remover and a scraper, but am not sure if the remover will mess with (melt?) the plastic.

The plan is to remove it from one kayak and re-install in another.

Has anyone done this, or know what the best way to get rid of the old silicone is?

Thanks!

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 am

Use braid and gloves to saw through the silicon first. Then remover solvent and scraper. It may peel off without the solvent.

Glass is Class.. dedant

TBreezy

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 am

Awesome, thanks mate!

Stealthmode
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX7967

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 am

TBreezy wrote:Before I completely butcher this process, has anyone removed a transducer from the inside of their hull? One that has been installed with silicone?

I bought some silicone remover and a scraper, but am not sure if the remover will mess with (melt?) the plastic.

The plan is to remove it from one kayak and re-install in another.

Has anyone done this, or know what the best way to get rid of the old silicone is?

Thanks!
I used a plastic scraper to avoid damaging the hull and some light grease remover cleaner from the painting section of mitre 10 which worked well on the silicone without harming the plastic and gently prying up the transducer

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Mission Catch 390
Viking Reload

ZMX7967

TBreezy

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

That's cool, I might give that a go if it's a bit tough. Cheers!

• Information