meola

Auckland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

got to oliver st (pt chev) this morning to launch out from, hmmmm, no water yet. Didnt fancy slugging it thru the mud, drove around for 40mins looking for a better place to go out from, nope, back to oliver st
Got out about 1030, 15min paddle to a place I fished before. Wanted to go further out, was quite choppy out there with water coming over side on , back to calmer water, pick down baits out, snap 33 in the bin then throw backs
Wind dropped so I went to where the whau river joins to the waitemata (gps marks) 1/2oz sinker to get to the bottom... 4 or 5m water, fish straight away, lots of throw backs. Then a fizz boats comes right over my strike zone, bloody killed it, nothing till high tide. Out going was just feeding fish, then back to where I started before the water disappeared. Kept 3 other fish of 34, 35 & 47.... missed some good runs
Definitely better on the incoming

SitDown

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:31 am

Went to Meola last night, launched off the beach at garnet rd, walked the yak 80m to the water
Paddled towards the red marker where the whau river splits off from the waitemata, bit choppy so wasted about an hr fart arsing around, was choppy with wind against incoming tide, just throw backs, was in 4m water
Went back to another spot closer in 1.5m water, got there just before 8pm, throw backs up to 33cm
Finally caught some keepers, 2 fish for dinner 35 & 47, again, missed some good runs, back on land 845pm
The odd bite but most were crashing the baits....
Some were fishing it where your paddle would hit the bottom & catching snaps

SitDown

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 pm

was out yesterday, on my spot about 6pm in 2m water, a few snags but the fish were there, throw backs up to 34cm, kept 3 around 35 & 37.... had a huge run on my light gear, pause, head shake, huge run again, picked up the rod, big run again then fell off....
still prospecting this area, I know the salt water fly fisher folk do well around here either side of low tide with snaps, kings & kahawai
I went into the shallows, under half meter water, there was lots of activity, bait fish jumping also much bigger splashes with free jumping mullet close by... very fishy water
back on land 830pm

SitDown

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 pm

on the water there today around 2pm, went to what I thought was a likely place in 3m water, few baits in, a few runs then falling off, couple throw backs to 34, then keepers of 48, 42 all within 40mins, then around 330pm nothing till 7pm, well, went to different spots, throw backs around 25cm mark for that time, went in to shallows in 2m water, a few throw back then keepers followed of 37, 39, 41 plus 2 of 34 gill hooked. Paddled back in around 8ish.... good day out, first time keeping 7 fish

SitDown

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Had a 4hr fish on the pt chev side of meola reef this morning, easy 15min paddle to the fish
Wind was up around 15kt SW, still pretty sheltered where I fished in close to the oysters in 2m water, fish almost straight away. For the first 90mins, the snaps were all pretty much the same size between 33-36, all went back, kept a few nicer ones. Coming up to high tide they turned into under size snaps.... pulling up an under size a shadow followed it up which turned into a kingi that quickly buggared off
Kept a few more to fill up the bin on the out going tide, back on land just after lunch.... fish on ice were 33, 36, 39, 40, 40, 41

TBreezy

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:43 am

Nice work man. I have a mate who does really well from Meola reef also. Good to see there's plenty of fish around.

SitDown

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:50 pm

TBreezy, some good fish to be had there from what I have heard, up to 15 pound from a kayak fisher I met there one time, on softbait

got out today around 130pm paddled out then my ff played up, restarted it then died shortly afterwards.... not happy
looked around to see what was familiar, dropped my paddle down to touch the bottom, drifted to where I could not see any oyster rocks, baits down, was quite slow to begin with & slow for the whole session, alot less numbers of fish compared to last time, got some keepers then a goodie got in there on my abu 6500 spooled with 4kg mono, all it had to do was go side ways to bust me off, but didn't, heaps of good runs on the light gear, everytime it saw the net would take off for the bottom, then up comes a new PB of 63cm for the kayak (7.5lb) all within the first hr of fishing... from there the odd keeper came in with throw backs to 34cm.... kept 5 other fish of 35, 35, 36, 41, 41, back on land around 5pm, pretty stoked

TBreezy

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Well done, man.

That’s a great fish. It’s just cool that you can get a good feed from that area still.

Look forward to the next report!

SitDown

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Got out there today, NE 15kt winds, shallow water, a bit rough on the eastern side of the reef, white caps further away from where I anchored... rocked around for 10mins in the gusty wind chop... some wet arse, truly safe for the conditions but more annoying, so paddled to a calmer western side... a bit bumpy but mostly calm for the conditions.... could hit the bottom with my paddle, anchored up, baits out, fish coming in slowly.
Just 2 undersized snaps, 7 throw backs 31-35, kept 5 snaps 36, 37, 40, 41, 44
The last hour was soft bites, runs, then falling off, last bait got me the 44
On the water 245 off at 6pm, used about a 1.5 kg of pillies...... good day out

SitDown

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 pm

SitDown wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:48 pm

SitDown

Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Have fished here every 10-14 days since last trip report, pretty much more of the same results

Started to drop off almost 3 weeks ago in numbers

Try 1 last time before they head out to the deep till next season, small tides & had to be back by 530 or slog it thru thick smelly mud.... no thanks
Straight after work, on the water 3pm today, first baits in 15mins later & waited. High tide almost on it, still waiting
Few bites then a few throw backs 1 little keeper, shifted to find some current, lots of small kahawai taking baits, still waiting
Back to a different spot that had some current, fish started coming in at 430ish
Got a feed, gutted the fish, paddle back to almost half mud ramp just before dusk
32 34 36 37 & 45cm snaps in 2m water

• Information