Anyone catching?

Tasman/Marlborough region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Cumbrianlad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Anybody been out lately an caught much? Went out cable bay this morn and it was really slow. Managed a kahawai and a gurnard. Was the only one out there first light, I thought it would of been busier which made me think there's not much being caught?

TBreezy

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Been out here and there since christmas but haven't been slaying it. Lots of small stuff.

Have hit up a number of new (for me) places in Coromandel, Auckland and up Leigh ways. Most trips am coming back with one or two for the table but they have all been pretty slow days. I put that down to my inexperience for the most part. Have seen heaps of kings around - catching them is another story - although I did land a small one fishing off the rocks in Coromandel over Christmas which was cool.

Do you find it slower at this time of year?

peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 am

cumbrian lad - rumours (im still off the water) kina 15m for brim or 6m high tide for kings, lots of qualtity ky
mussel farm - lotsa rats but the odd larger model, mostly jigs. good eating snaps real early n real late
boulder bank - lotsa kings in the morning trolling
mot wharf - masses of bait n kings early (chaotic but hilarious to watch)
the 'otha fullla' keeps dropping in slabs of snaps on a weekly basis, so theyre out there. last trip he was mumbling about about baby boss micro jigs n rat kings while grinning ear to ear. think hes launching well predawn

keep at it. tanagaroa will provide

Cumbrianlad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi TBreezy. New to kayak fishing an new to nelson area so cant really comment on whether it's slow usually this time of year. Did a bit of fishing with my father on his boat up round BOP in the summer and it was a bit patchy at times. could of been a number of reasons though.

Pete. Thanks for the info I was catching heaps of snapper off kina till about two weeks ago in around 6 mtr of water then all of a sudden nothing. I Will push out a bit further next time and see if my luck changes. How come you not out there fishing?

Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 am

Lots of tarakihi and gurnard still still around Pepin island and snapper still out at 30 meters in front of Delaware bay.

Ruby bay is full of snapper from 8 meters onwards - bagged out in 40 minutes - tide seems to be key out there with an incoming being best - 2 hours before high tide.

• Information