Hope it wasn't one of us

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:42 pm

This morning while fishing @ Orere I drifted over to a pair of yakkers who had had a pretty good morning fishing.
Only problem was it was too good and they were clearly not capable of counting until it was too late.

The paddlers were on a Blue/white unknown kayak with electric trolling motor and an orange prowler.
The guy on the blue/white yak asked his mate how many he had, with the reply "6", then he counted his own aloud 1,2,3...8,9,10 oh shit
They the decided to head for home, and once about 100m or so past me the yakker with 10 decided to dump the extras leaving them floating belly up with iki spike holes to the head, which I collected and gave to someone who didn't have many to take home.

I really hope it wasn't one of our own showing such disregard for the rules and thinking dumping extras is the best option. But if it was, F*#% you, next time I'll follow you back to the beach and make sure MPI have your details
Also the locals were not impressed, and will be keeping an eyeout for you next time

We all know the rules, and they're not that hard to follow. Don't be an asshole
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:52 pm

MPI don't mind as long as you dump the ones you don't want at sea. And, yes, arseholes.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I seem to remember that the MPI rules refer to the word(s) "keep", so I guess that as long as they weren't over the limit once they hit dry land they could argue that they weren't intending to "keep" them..

But in saying that, it sounds like arsehole behaviour for sure !... And yes the locals at Orere take a pretty keen interest in what happens there and will be on the look out for them next time

Good on ya for bringing it up PL !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Might have got a bit excited and forgot to count.... |-) need one of these maybe.....
Attachments
41WMMr2xlmL.jpg
41WMMr2xlmL.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

Kermit
Kayak Model: PF400 - Kermit

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Or the pricks don't know how to count.
The issue I have is that all yak fishers get tarred with the same brush.
Viking PF400 - Kermit
Viking Espri Angler - worn out
PB snapper - 17.9lbs - 82cm CKFC
Plenty of time to sleep when you die

sharkey
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish,espri,prowler
VHF Call Sign: sharkey

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:35 pm

:( Even so at say an average just past legal age ...we're looking at say 3 x 7 years of life taken......21yrs gone...kind off tragic irresponsibility....but conversely, on a memorable club fish years ago with HBC up Far North, I'd calculated a 1000years plus of life was taken from the sea....herein, lies a delemna........be responsible and respective of life taken from the sea.....try not to fish past what you will need, and process your fish to give the best return :y:

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't know, I've had times where I weren't sure whether I had 6 or 7 and recently someone on here said they accidentally had 8 which I can understand, but you don't "accidentally" get it wrong for an extra 3 fish!

Anyway...
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:56 pm

High grading is rife, IMO.

Paddled past a spot where three guys in a fizz boat had been fishing this morning and two 40's Snapper were on the surface, same situation - both iki'd.
We'd both had a snapper-fest under a KY workup and I saw the fish get thrown back just before they headed off and assumed they were releasing as I'd been throwing a few back (targetting the XOS KY).

Fortunately I had space to bring them home so not wasted, no doubt they would have continued this today and come home boasting a limit bag of nothing under 60cm.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Agree FOM , to go three over the limit is very poor form... :n: I ended up with the dead/discarded fish in my bin and as part of my Quota for the day, Thanks B2 for the recovery of them.... So not wasted... Both Brad and I sat on 6 snapper a piece waiting for a good one, didn't happen but its not that hard to count to 7...

Anyway the locals are aware and on the lookout for there return :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: GL with them :clap:

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Hmmm I sense flat tires looming for someone.

Went out with a couple of mates on their boat today with very little success, makes you realise what an effective method of fishing paddling is. My neighbour is a stand up paddle boarder and has equipped one for fishing, he's been doing really well.

Back on subject, MPI had a road check point at Clevedon on our way back through, run just like a Police one with good numbers of staff and they were clearly getting stuck into transgressors.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Badger wrote:?................

Back on subject, MPI had a road check point at Clevedon on our way back through, run just like a Police one with good numbers of staff and they were clearly getting stuck into transgressors.
I have to confess that I have had the odd day that starts well so I throw lots back immediately then fish go off the bite with 2? 4? (Lost count) stowed deep in an ice filled bin.
Easy fix, paddle to another yakker (If I'm reading this right there was a pair of them fishing together?) and get some assistance to ensure your bag count before you continue catching beyond bag limits or simply don't take the gamble.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:24 am

WaikatoYakka wrote:
Badger wrote:?................

I have to confess that I have had the odd day that starts well so I throw lots back immediately then fish go off the bite with 2? 4? (Lost count) stowed deep in an ice filled bin.
Easy fix, paddle to another yakker (If I'm reading this right there was a pair of them fishing together?) and get some assistance to ensure your bag count before you continue catching beyond bag limits or simply don't take the gamble.
Yes there was 2 of them !

• Information