Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
UnKwN
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Wishful Thinking

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 am

Good morning all,

New to kayaking and love fishing but not particularly too good at it. Recently bought a Viking 2+1 kayak for the family and wanting to take her for her maiden voyage. I've heard Kaiaua mussel farms are a good spot with calm waters and good opportunities ?

We're wanting to hear out Sunday or Saturday avo weather pending, would anyone like to join us and maybe throw a pointer or two our way ?

Thanks fellow members .

Nick, Natasha & Mila.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 am

Welcome Team, thats a solid fishing platform and a great one to get you out there, just be very careful of the currents in and around that area, often you can hear the water change in minutes, but yes all around that coast line can fish very well, Waitawa regional park is a nice safe launching spot. Look forward to your trip reports...

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 am

Welcome aboard!

Many people do well at the Kaiaua mussel farms, but I'd recommend Orere Point as a better beginners area because it's more forgiving. Manoeuvering around the mussel lines and buoys can be challenging and all the mussel ropes provide ample snags. While there are some snags at Orere they tend to be further apart (in my experience) or caused by my laziness in letting the line drag along the bottom.

Looking at the forecast, Sunday morning might be your best bet.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:48 pm

awondering wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 am
Welcome Team, thats a solid fishing platform and a great one to get you out there, just be very careful of the currents in and around that area, often you can hear the water change in minutes, but yes all around that coast line can fish very well, Waitawa regional park is a nice safe launching spot. Look forward to your trip reports...
I agree with what both AW and Casualtyward said and personally Waitawa Regional Park is my favourite spot specifically because it is so safe. Surrounded by land at all times which decreases the effect of the wind AND you're never far away from land if something should go wrong. Pure coincidence, but one of my friends turtled (fell over) his Viking 2+1 at the Kaiaua mussel farms and he said if a boat didn't notice it and come to his and his dog's rescue, he would have been in some serious trouble there. Of course the same friend also turtled the 2+1 with his wife and daughter when the daughter decided to stand up on the kayak without notice!!! :)

Other people seem to do better at Orere Point than at Waitawa, but for me it's other way around 0 possibly because I don't seem to do so well in the deeper water. Anyway, Waitawa is a lot of sand if you don't know where to go and don't have a fish finder.
Waitawa Spots.png
Waitawa Spots.png (572.42 KiB) Viewed 884 times
If I was you, I'd go to (1). Just drift around the front of the island there. Not too close to the island, but round about there where I have the yellow squiggly
Somewhere around (2) there's a small reef or something, but finding that with a fish finder is a struggle and everything around it is just sand. Having said that, I have caught some fish drifting between (2) and (1), but yeah - mostly sand.
At (4), somewhere between the wharf and the smaller island, there's another reef there, but I got snagged at (3) and (4) so often that I don't bother with them anymore.
At (3) there's a 26m hole very close to the island, but I seem to do better just on the edge of the hole when I used to fish there.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't recommend (3) and (4). I use to fish those long time ago, but I think (1) will be your best bet.

anyway, just some thoughts.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

UnKwN
Kayak Model: 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Wishful Thinking

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 am

Well we went out my partner our 2 year old daughter and myself launched off from Waitawa regional park. It was a nice easy launch and a clam afternoon at the top of the tide when we got in the water. We headed out towards point 2 and I found personally that fishing from a kayak was a lot harder than I thought, reaching behind to grab and place the rod was difficult to say the least and having no room to reset and change rigs was annoying as well.
Long story short we went, we saw we left empty handed but had a nice paddle in a place we hadn't been before. Thank you team for your advice I clearly need more practice.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am

UnKwN wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:33 am
Well we went out my partner our 2 year old daughter and myself launched off from Waitawa regional park. It was a nice easy launch and a clam afternoon at the top of the tide when we got in the water. We headed out towards point 2 and I found personally that fishing from a kayak was a lot harder than I thought, reaching behind to grab and place the rod was difficult to say the least and having no room to reset and change rigs was annoying as well.
Long story short we went, we saw we left empty handed but had a nice paddle in a place we hadn't been before. Thank you team for your advice I clearly need more practice.
Welcome. It does get easier ...

Slap a few extra rod holders on the 2+1 in convenient locations for trolling, fishing and rigging and it will get a lot less awkward.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information