Hello From Whenuapai!

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
DeltaDivingNZ
Kayak Make: Looking
Kayak Model: For One!
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Thu May 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Good afternoon everyone!

I am new to these forums so thought I would introduce myself. I've loved fishing since forever, anything to do with the ocean is my happy place. I bought a cheap, no-name 2.8m kayak about 8 years ago as I couldn't afford, or didn't know anyone with a boat. I had some great success out of Army Bay, and also my home away from home - Port Jackson, Coromandel. Since then, I have been fortunate enough for some friends to have acquired boats. Therefore, this is the platform from where I do my fishing from these days. However, there's nothing quite like paddling out on a beautiful day in search of a feed, surrounded by nothing but the sound of your paddle gently caressing the water.

The old 2.8 metery has seen better days. It is small, slow, and not the safest feeling vessel. I am currently looking to upgrade so I can get back into it. I'm not going top of the line, but somewhere in the middle. Anything will be a sizeable upgrade from what I have now. I am very comfortable fishing from a boat, but fishing from a kayak is a different kettle of fish. No doubt I will have lots to learn so will look to other members for guidance.

I used to be a bait/burley lover, as lures and softbaits never produced fish for me. It wasn't until I invested in some quality (more importantly, fit for purpose) gear, that I was converted. Therefore, my go-to these days are lures, in particular sliders, which always seem to produce for me. I am still yet to hone my softbait skills, but do possess the gear and will to do so. The idea of casting softbaits into rocky outcrops surrounded by white wash is very appealing! Don't get me wrong; pumping a big burley trail, throwing a fresh slab of Kahawai into it will always hold a place in my heart. That can however, become a bit messy from a kayak.

I currently live in Whenuapai, Auckland, so likely spots for me would be to launch from any of the East Coast Bays, and also Whangaparaoa Peninsular. I often have mornings available to me so I look forward to watching the sun rise whilst fishing lures and casting softbaits.

I'd love to connect with like minded people, which after scrolling through forum posts here, seems to be everyone. I look forward to becoming an active member in the NZ Kayak Fishing Community, and engaging with many of you either via forum or out on the water.

If you've made it this far into my life story, you have definitely earned yourself a fish! Tight lines everyone.

SitDown

Sat May 23, 2020 10:55 am

Nice intro mate, need a link to the earned fish haha

Heard Whenuapai fishes well over the summer months, wouldn't mind tagging along when it starts next season if you are keen

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm

I’m in Kumeu. Member of the North Shore Kayak Fishing Club, you are welcome to attend the next meeting, join up, or tag along on our organised club fishing trips too.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Ferret
Kayak Make: Container Door Special!
Kayak Model: Two person tank
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am

Nice intro - i hope you get what you want out of the website!

As Sitdown says, I believe Whenuapai fishes well over summer. I went for a tiki tour up to the Riverhead tavern when i first got my kayak. Very nice paddle and after chatting to some surfcasters near the end of Riverland Road who told me they were getting nice 40cm+ snapper, popped a line in... got hit by something hard and broke off so there are definitely some sort of fish around! It was right at the junction of Brigham Creek and the main channel.

Haven't been back, but keep looking at the tides and dreaming about the great burgers and chips they have at the Riverhead!!

DeltaDivingNZ

Wed May 27, 2020 7:28 am

SitDown wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:55 am
Nice intro mate, need a link to the earned fish haha

Heard Whenuapai fishes well over the summer months, wouldn't mind tagging along when it starts next season if you are keen
Yes I have heard also. Haven't fished the area myself but do have a friend who has caught some double figure snapper in recent years. This was before all the Hobsonville development so hopefully it hasn't had too much effect on marine life.

Definitely keen to get out and see what's around!

DeltaDivingNZ

Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 am

dedant wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm
I’m in Kumeu. Member of the North Shore Kayak Fishing Club, you are welcome to attend the next meeting, join up, or tag along on our organised club fishing trips too.
Thank you very much for the invite mate I'd love that. Just trying to sort life out post COVID :D

• Information