View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Clueless in Mangawhai 

Post Clueless in Mangawhai
Howdy Y'all,

Thanks for the site and giving me the ability to post threads. Hopefully you wont come to regret the latter.

I guess there are worse places to be trapped for 6-9 months than on the East coast of the North Island, so thou shall not complain. To make the most of it, I upgraded a plastic bath tub to a lime green Phoenix Hornet I'm calling 'snot work' and have plans to get further out, and up and down the coast chasing the usual suspects.

Biggest impediment to this grand crusade is I have only just learned enough to realise I know 5/8ths of bugger all about how to do so safely.

There are clubs to the left, clubs to the right, and I'm stuck in the middle wondering if there are any other yakkers out this way in Mangawhai or surrounds, who wouldn't mind me tagging along from time to time, please? I make no claims of competency but may provide some comic relief and am happy to be laughed at, have the urine extracted from me, and generally ridiculed, if it means I'll learn a thing or seven from those who are further along the learning curve.

Still trying to fit out the yak, have received yak safety course docs in the post from NZ coastguard, finally bought a PFD the other day, and am at that stage of seeing lures in everyday objects like pens, broomsticks, cicadas, beer bottle tops, etc. I get a buzz making it back with more white meat than I left with, which is often, but not always, the case considering I don't ever use real baits.

Anyhoo, am at the very early stages and have only caught Kahawai so far, but they are fun on my kiddy rod and reel combo and I've been smoked at the heads by something serious that has me wanting more. Any help/advice very much appreciated.

So much to learn, so few weekends.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Post Re: Clueless in Mangawhai
Welcome aboard... if I recall correctly MiniYak is based out of Mangawhai so drop him a PM (Private message) and for some comic relief and sage advise, have a chat with MadMike up at TopCatch in Whangarei as he's been known to head out on a yak for a fish from time to time... though these days he prefers his gas glider !

"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Phoenix Hornet
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:29 am

Post Re: Clueless in Mangawhai
Thank you Hainesy, I'll chase that along and lurk with intent at Top Catch when next in Whangarei.

For the next fortnight or so I'm on a job that has a toddler who shuts the whole job down for a few hours kip just after lunch so will be heading out for a short paddle amongst the gazillion m3 of topsoil that has been washed into the estuary. It was however somewhat clearer today than yesterday so hopefully in a few days things will be back to normal around the coastline.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ] 

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:01 pm